Police and 999 calls

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Will the Sec, Nov 5, 2005.

1. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

On Wedndesday I called 999 as projectiles were thrown at my front door and the youths responsible stayed around being abusive.

There was no response by the police.

Last night, I had a mixture of a pumpkin with lit candles, stones and wood thrown at my front door combined with threats of my house and car being torched my means of fireworks.

I made 3 999 calls - and no-one came.

Four 999 calls int total- but no police response at all.

This morning I went out to indoor league, carrying all my cricket gear.

When I got back, there was a message on my answerphone, asking me to call the local police. I did.

What did they want? They had had a report of me carrying an offensive weapon - a cricket bat. I told them not only did I have a bat, but pads, gloves, a box and wicket keeping gear. I had, after all been playing a match, and could provide 12 witnesses, included a JP.

They asked me to come to the station to discuss - I declined and told them if they wanted to discuss it further they would have to come and arrest me. "We don't want to do that, Sir".

Well, they're going to have to. And I'm then going to drag their name through the mud for wrongful and malicious arrest and highlight the fact they are now so target conscious they will go for any easy target rather than chasing real hoodlums.

Is it any wonder that people take the law into their own hands when the police act like this?

2. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

That's absolutely crazy!! Good luck, you need to point out exactly how many times you've been ignored whilst being abused and harrassed!

That's just totally unacceptable!

3. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

that is crazy, personally I would call the local paper/mp and see how the police deal with that publicity!

4. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

I agree, if you make it public then someone from "up high" will be aware and will have to do the right thing if only for the PR value

5. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

thats mad. Tell the police to get stuffed. Or you could kill the people that were chucking stuff at your door with your cricket bat, then at least you would be being arrested for a reason. Or possibly not... Good luck though.

Any policemen/women reading this Im very sorry I dont mean you unless it was you in which case thats debatable. And mods sorry if I shouldnt have posted that.

6. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

ill agree with sparkles on this one, phone and ring everybody you can, papers radio, local and national! go get em will

7. Will the Sec

Well, it's dark, and it's Bonfire Night.

If the yobbos show up tonight this will come to a head.

I wonder - if my place is torched tonight, as "promised" can I sue the police for negligence by dint of their not responding?

8. Will the Sec

And so it started.

The front door was kicked with such force that a retaining bolt was ripped from the wall.

The police were called. 999. My call is given "the highest" priority.

No response. A stone hit the frame of my bedroom window, followed by one hitting the roof.

By this time, I am scared. I call 999. I give the operator a reference number I was given this morning, but she insists on taking all my details again.

I tell her I need immedaite assistance. She says I'll have to wait my turn because it's busy. "It is bonfire night you know." "Be patient." "You're behind your front door you're safe"

So let's get this straight.

I'm being told I'M safe by someone who is 120 miles away in Newport. I say if they don't send someone around, I'll likely go out there, cruise around, catch one of them, and then not be reposnsible for my actions. THEN, I am told, officers will be around immediately. So, if I want to beat the crud out of the little darlings, the police will come running. But if I want protection because I fear that my house or car will be attacked again, I have to be patient. And be told so by a civilian. Who was as sympathetic as a Deep Heat based enema.

The police did eventually arrive at 10.25 - and came in the road entrance to the close, thereby letting the little darlings escape by the back route. Information telling the police not to come in the front was given Ms Deep Heat, but was not passed on.

OK, we've got a cctv picture of the ring leader, but none of any of the acts of violence against my property.

It's all gone quiet now, and will probably be so for the rest of the night.

But tomorrow?

Does it start again?

What happens if I do catch one of them? Does that force me beyond breaking point?

I expect I'll end up doing time, and the little darlings will simply move onto another victim.

Anyone know where I can get a %^& ?

9. Neil Glynn

Neil Glynn Member

what exactly have these kids got against you?

10. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

You can't sit and await the next attack. I honestly think that going to the media is the wrong way to go about it at the moment. It will give out an obvious message that you are scared, something you don't want to do to your attackers.

I'd write a complaint to the IPCC (http://www.ipcc.gov.uk) and the Chief Constable of your Police force detailing every single bit of information you have about the attacks, the process you gone through and descriptions of the attackers. Put in the letter that if you don't hear back from them within the week, then you'll go to the media, and stick to that promise.

It's by no means the ideal course of action because you could potentially still have attacks while Royal Mail do their thing, but it is better to try and show the scum doing this, that you appear not to be bothered by it.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Wedndesday
    police response
    local police
    witnesses
    cricket bat
  12. Will the Sec

I wish I knew.

13. Di

Di Active Member

Will, how on earth did I manage to miss this thread earlier!! I'm so sorry! This is an attrocious business. I can only reiterate whats been said above. Contact EVERYONE! This is an absolute shambles and it cannot go on. I would also consider taking legal advice on the matter. Whatever you do Will, don't try taking it into your own hands. I just hope you get a peaceful night from now on and that things calm down.

God bless and good luck.
    Mumsie. x

14. Di

Di Active Member

Aha, thats why I missed it, it was in totally random and thread games. Well this isn't a game and certainly not a laughing matter is it Will? :( Have moved it to Random now so it will get the attention it deserves.

15. TIMBONE

TIMBONE Active Member

I was having a problem in the 80's. My Headteacher who was also a JP said - "Tell your local MP". I did. Problem solved. When it goes to the 'main man' (your parliamentary representative) things happen.

16. Steve

Steve Active Member

This sucks Will, I would give my normal response of fighting fire with fire but I know how badly some people take that concept. Threaten them back at least, dont beat them senseless yet but make it quite clear that they dont scare you and if they want a game of vandalism then you know plenty of people who are more than capable of turning their family homes into a nice pile of burnt timber along with what/whoever was inside.

Go with what Tim said too though, MP's seems to be the only people who can actually make anything happen. Make sure you have everything dated and timed too with photographic evidence of any damamge, phone records etc showing calls made and ask the police for a record of the action they (didnt) take and details of why (not).

17. Melph

Melph Member

A couple of things here:

1. Which police authority do you come under?

Look up the police complaints authority on WWW and get in contact with a well worded complaint - ensure you have kept dates \ times you have called police and exactly what "advice" was given by the police.

2. Who is your local MP? - Write to his office and explain how bad the situation is, chances are, this will not be the first time this has happened.

Lastly, a piece of advice once passed down from a fireman to a friend of mine who suspected \ feared an unexpected attack - ALWAYS CALL THE FIRE BRIGADE.

Why? Because they are the quickest to respond to a 999 call, a big lorry turning up with 6 big men tends to scare off people. However, you could be liable for wasting their time (unless you say yopu thought you smelt smoke somewhere) and also there is always the chance the crew were needed at a genuine fire.........

And before this starts people of on the moral issue, this advice was given by a firefighter.

18. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

That's the best advice on here, with the addition of writing to the Chief Superintendent in charge of the Station on whose ground you live.

The police force has gone down hill ever since I retired. :rolleyes: I chased some burglars in my village a few weeks ago and it took SEVEN minutes before I even got through on 999!! By then I'd given up.

Oh and don't call the Fire Brigade, although they are the only emergency service that have to meet a response time target, they should not be used in such a frivolous way! False calls cost lives.

19. Melph

Melph Member

I didn't say that I agreed with what the firefighter said, however this was the advice that was passed down (from the firefighter) - I guess it is all well and good going through the proper channels and following the correct procedure, but isnt that what Will has been doing? Criminal acts have been commited, he has called the appropriate authorities and nothing has happened.

If I was in that situation and feared for my life, I would call whoever I could to come and asisst me and worry about the consequences later - it is ok to be wise after the event but unfortunately, that could be too late.

20. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Witnesses!!! Have a chat to your neighbours and if possible, get them to also watch the situation. Phone them to act as witnesses if anything happens. The police used to try and use a neighbourly watch scheme a few years ago. They would have to act if you got support.

post-edit - if possible, get them to also phone the Police reporting the disturbance!

21. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

I don't want to get into an argument with you over this. :) But, Firefighters are NOT police officers and cannot get involved with police type activities. They cannot chase or detain yobs and so calling them to a disturbance is of no use. Yes a big red appliance with 4-6 people arriving with sirens going may cause the yobs to run away, or it could result in the Fire Appliance being 'bricked' and then have to be taken off the run and not available to attend any real incidents! They have enough trouble with their appliances being vandalised while on the fire ground, without further antagonising the local hooligans! My son is a Crew Commander in North London and they regularly have bricks thrown at them on the way to real emergencies or whilst deployed on the fire ground.

And in some areas the Firefighters are 'Retained' and respond to 'shouts' from home or work, so being used as a surrogate police force is not a good idea.

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Wedndesday
    police response
    local police
    witnesses
    cricket bat