POLAND!!!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by sugarandspice, Jul 20, 2004.

1. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

Anyone ever been there?!

I'm going on tour with the orchestra on thursday and just wanted to see whos been there and what they have to say about it.

Or you can help me out with the "what the hell am i going to do, stuck on a coach for 2 days" issue!- any ideas?!

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Anyone
    whos
    POLAND
    tour
    orchestra
  3. Well Worth It

Well Worth It Active Member

Scenery - amazing.
    Food - terrible.
    People - beautiful.
    Architecture - full of bullet holes.
    Prices - seriously cheap.

4. ScrapingtheBottom

ScrapingtheBottom Active Member

Went on a Youth Orchestra tour to Krakow a few years ago. Beautiful country, but serious economic problems (but they are in the EU now so a lot has changed probably). Architecture is a mix between Northern Gothic/medieval and Hard Granite Soviet Bloc (very strange). The food is crap (apart from the sausage) kind of stodgy stews all the time. Vodka is excellent. Prices are also good. Give the Polish police a wide berth and never walk around alone.

I found games of pontoon raps are a good way to keep yourself amused. Also drawing on people while they are asleep (esp fiddle players) and taking amusing photos (don't do this whilst you are too drunk or you'll laugh too much and wake the victim).

5. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Not unlike the Lake District then save that beauty is always in the eye of the beholder. :twisted:

6. Well Worth It

Well Worth It Active Member

Scenery was amazing wasn't it.

7. picju96

picju96 Member

Vodka's very cheap and bars open till 7am in Krakow. Some nice scenery, food's not the best in the world... There's a nice restaurant mexican style in the main square, can't remember what it's called at the moment.

8. sugarandspice

thats one of the places i am staying :D also staying up in the mountians and some other town which i cant pronounce!

Have to try and pack in a bit- next question-anyone got any tips on how to pack a suitcase (considering i have 8 paris of shoes i want to take with me!) :D

9. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

my new housemate is from poland... she seems nice enough... that's all I know about the place...

10. Liz Courts

Liz Courts Active Member

You're only taking 8 pairs of shoes? :wink: :roll: :roll:

11. ukdrummerboy

ukdrummerboy Member

Fantastic place, amazing prices (wish alcohol was as cheap over here....35p for a vodka and coke :shock: ) Though the food is a downside (unless your on a diet)...I've toured there twice and when staying at a hotel, the food you were given is usually calorie (and taste) free...and what you dont eat at lunch, they usually make a soup out of it for the evenings starter course (ever tried beetroot soup??!!)

But its an experience...and i'd go back any day!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Anyone
    whos
    POLAND
    tour
    orchestra
  13. TuTuKu

TuTuKu Active Member

DON'T sit any where near the toilet... believe me you will regret it!!!

No other advice other than to sit yourself with a few good mates and you'll laugh the whole way there and the whole way back... oh and go to the toilet as many times as possible, the people sitting near it will love you :twisted:

14. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

Try the Polish spirit, it'll definately get the plaque off of your teeth

15. sugarandspice

Im in poland!!!!

Got so much to tell you all, but basically the food is so cheap!! :D :D (king sized mac donalds for less than 2 pounds!)

stayed in wroclaw- weather was good then moved up to the mountians- beautiful but it has rained everyday but apart from that it is good!!\
    not sure about the food- was impressed with chicken and chips but not so sure about the polish food- (found metal in the soup) hmmm

polish men are scary- tried to feel up some of the girls. gits

anyway hope everything is well in england :D (sorry i didnt reply liz- saving my two texts for special people! :p )
    tell adam i might drive if i pass!

love you all! :D

kelly from poland!!!

16. Watch out for that Polish White Spirit..........always dilute it well with a fruit juice.

It's a splendid country - their seasons change beautifully - as do ours I suppose.......but theirs do "more so"

Wonderful Country and People. I had a business partner from Poland - what a great guy!!

PS That Polish Sausage is great!! - the really hard chewy one.

17. "polish men are scary- tried to feel up some of the girls. gits"

Did this happen in a City?

Cos I am sure that all cities are pretty much the same these days......... but I know that the real Polish folk cling on to old values - and have a good life style (despite the shortages)

18. sugarandspice

No- in the small (quiet) mountain resort- thought it would be a lovely evening- horse and carriages taking us to a resturant where we did polish dancing. we had one carriage speed off ahead and leave 4 kids at the wrong resturant! and the scary touchy man!- think they had had a bit too much vodka!
    had decided that too much vodka makes it a vile drink- seen lots of old men whos brainds have obviously been fried by it!!

was meant to go rafting today but the weather meant we couldnt so our polish tour guide (Jan) took us to a medieval castle-told us it was an hour away. 4 and a half bloody hours it took us to get there- got lost on the way, and one road was closed, got there in the end and found that although we had booked there were too many people so we couldnt even go in!!
    then to top that off we went for lunch- thoughly pissed off! jan said the town was one kilometre away from the castle- 45 minutes it took us to get there!!

there is a morale- we have learnt that a polish hour is defined as the time it takes to get from one place to another set place (regardless of the distance and speed!)
    and a polish kilometre is the distance it takes to get to a certain place- either that ir just dont get a tour guide called jan (who was a stunt man in one of the james bond films!!)

did the most amazing concert last night- in the 4th holy-est church in the catholic world- we were so lucky to play there-only the 7th concert ever held in that church. it was so sacred and amazing!!

have made friends with some clarinet players (learnt there names!!) they are actually nice people you know!!- oh and trombone players are annoying! :x :D

19. The Polish hour is different to our "hour"........... well that rings so many bells here re my business partner. He really was the best of all men - but he would phone in and say "cya in one hour"... ha ha six hours later we were still waiting..........

But!...... he was worth the wait........A great man.

I remember being with him when the police (police not polish) stopped him for being overloaded on a trailer......... wow that guy really had spent 12 days in a fox hole under artillary fire - then escaped across Germany to us here - he explained all this to the staffs police.......

he got of with a caution lol