Points averages for promoted/demoted bands

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by BigHorn, Nov 3, 2006.

1. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

Can anybody answer me this question please.
    When you compete in the areas for the first time in a new section after you have been promoted or relegated, you are credited with an 'average' position for the previous years when you weren't in that section.
    Is this average based on the number of bands in the section now or the number of bands that were in the section in that year being credited?
    i.e. if in 2005 there were 14 bands and in 2006 there were 12 and in 2007 there will only be 10
    what would the average points credited to the new bands be for years 2005 and 2006?
  2. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Had a look to see if I could find a link to the exact wording for the points award but couldn't find it. I think it's based on the number of bands that actually took part in the previous years contests so 2005 = 14 bands, 2005 = 12 bands - it' s the average of each separate year i.e. 7 & 6 respectively. - The number of bands competing in 2007 only has relevance to bands promoted or relegated in that year.
  3. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

Thanks - I was hoping that was the answer. I think that means my band only have to come 9th at the areas next year to be guarenteed promotion.
    Doesn't really seem fair that you can come virtually last in your area contest and still get promoted - but I'm not arguing:D

I think your average calculation is not correct though I thought 14 bands = 7.5 and 12 bands = 6.5

i.e. (1+2+3+4+5+6+7+8+9+10+11+12+13+14)/14 = 7.5
  4. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

I'll leave that calculation to the mathematicians amongst tMP. How do you get placed 7.5 and 6.5?
  5. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

In Scotland at least, the average is based on the number of bands registered in that section for the year of the contest at which the promotion was achieved. This is not necessarily the same as the number of bands who actually competed.
  6. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Its called the median Francis
  7. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

I don't know about other areas but I'm pretty sure that in the Northern are the average points are worked out by halving the number of the bands that will be competing in that section in that year.

For example, if you will be entering a section that has 15 bands in it you get 7.5 points
  8. Rimshot

Rimshot New Member

i know 4 the yorks region points are worked out over a 3 year period to determine relegations/promotions etc. so a band being promoted or relegated will receive average points 4 the previous 2 years because they were in a different section the previous year/years. so any band being prom/rel in 2007 to say the 2nd section on paper would get 2005 = 7pts and 2006 6.5pts then their placing for 2007 would be added to this to determine rel/prom thse figures are only an example so 2005 14 bands would have competed and in 2006 only 13 bands competed (divide the number of competing bands by 2 = average points)
  9. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

I will certainly differ to your expert opinion on that one then Daniel - so which is it median or average that they use to work out the previous year's point when you've been relegated or promoted?
  10. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Median is a type of average. You mean the mean average. Its median they use as this gives the middle position.
  11. postie

postie Member

That's right don't question him he's the Maths Teacher!!!!
  12. Janet Watkins

Janet Watkins Member

The official rules can be found here

Hope this helps
  13. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

WOW, what a coincidence asn I have just been doing this helping Lloyd with his homework... freaky...

Mean = sum of samples / number of samples
    Median = middle value in a list of samples
    Mode = Most frequently occurring sample

There... took me back to my school days :)
  14. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Hey maybe we should start discussing standard deviations....

...then again...maybe not..:-?