Pogson-Bray Trust Contest 2008

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Terrible Timp, Feb 23, 2008.

1. Terrible Timp

Terrible Timp Member

The 22nd Annual Pogson-Bray Trust Contest will take place this year on Sunday 6th April at Whitcliffe Mount School, Cleckheaton.

The format as in previous years will be three sections :-

Section C -For Youth Bands
    Section B - For 3rd & 4th Section Bands
    Section A - For 2nd, 1st & Championship Bands

Sections C & B will play 3 Verses of any hymn out of the RED HYMN BOOKS (as published no additional fanfares etc) followed by an OWN CHOICE TEST PIECE.

SECTION A will play A CONTEST MARCH followed by an OWN CHOICE TEST PIECE.

Bands should be members of the Huddersfield Brass Band Association HOWEVER a day membership is availiable for non-member bands and can be obtained for £5.00 along with the entry fee for the contest (Section C £20.00 Sections B & A £25.00)

Closing Date for entries 31st March 2008

Anyone wishing further information please contact :-

Alan Kaye (Contest Controller)
    122 Partridge Crescent
    Thornhill
    WF12 OHP
    Telephone 01924 466611

Or PM myself

Thanks
    Drew
    On Behalf Of Pogson-Bray Trust Committee

2. IJK

IJK Member

so what bands are going this year then?

Ireland Colliery have entered again. As they had a lovely time last year.

3. Terrible Timp

Terrible Timp Member

Not sure at the minute Ian closing date is next monday with the trust committee meeting that evening, i will post the list of competing bands as and when i get them

Glad to hear you guys had a good time last year and we look forward to seeing you on 6th April

4. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

We're going (Linthwaite), as are Huddersfield Brass and Emley I think. Looking forward to it, haven't done Pogson Bray for four years.

5. Col

Col Member

Hi Drew

Any update on entries available yet?

6. IJK

IJK Member

If I am right contest starts at 11am with the junior bands which I think there is 1

then the 3rd/4th section with 6 bands

and then the 2nd. 1st section with 1 band

This is a real poor turn out for a well run and friendly contest

and the guy judging this is John Hall

Good luck to everyone Sunday

7. Terrible Timp

Terrible Timp Member

I havent had chance to speak to the contest controller re posting actual bands competing but i can confirm :-

The Contest begins at 11.00AM with the draw taking place at 10.00AM

Section C -Youth first 1 band
    Section B - 6 Bands
    Section A - 1 Band

(Basic what Ian put ^)

If things happen as in the past results will be given after each section.

The Venue is Whitcliffe Mount School, Cleckheaton for anyone wishing to support the contest entry is pay on the door, refreshments are available and there's plenty of parking !!! See you all Sunday

P.S Watch this space for results !!!!!!!!

8. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

Am I right in thinking it was you breaking the timp pedal the other night Drew? ;-)

9. Matt Lawson

Matt Lawson Member

Results

Section C:

1. Sellers Youth

Section B:

1. Emley
    2. Rockingham
    3. Skelmanthorpe B
    4. Linthwaite
    5. Huddersfield Brass/Ireland Colliery
    6. Huddersfield Brass/Ireland Colliery

Best Hymn Tune: Rockingham
    Highest 4th Section Band Not In Prizes: Linthwaite

Section A

1. Slaithwaite

10. IJK

IJK Member

I think those results are wrong as have been told Hudds Brass came 4th with 187 points and Lithwaite have 184 points and we at Ireland had 186 points

It would be good if Dave could confirm this from lithwaite

ian

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Pogson-Bray Trust Contest
    WF12
    Championship Bands Sections C & B
    Section C -For Youth Bands Section B - For 3rd & 4th Section Bands Section A
    SECTION A
  12. Matt Lawson

Matt Lawson Member

I'm sure I heard Linthwaite announced as highest placed 4th section band outside the prizes, which surely puts them above Ireland Colliery?

I will stand corrected if I'm mistaken, of course.

13. flugel_fancy

flugel_fancy Member

Yep they got highest 4th after top 3 prizes so I would think you're right there Matt :tongue:

14. tenor

tenor New Member

Hi Matt I play for Rockingham and was there and also heard Linthwaite announced as best 4th section band out of the prizes.

15. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

Would be nice if organisers could confirm this.

Regardless, wherever we come we played well so it matters not. I'm pleased for the band for giving their best.

16. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

Hudds could be 4th, as they still wouldnt' win a prize for 4th section band.

If Ian's points are correct then the 4th section prize must have been announced wrongly on the day.

Good contest again. Friendly with everyone helping out each others bands. Shame about the lack of bands in the upper and lower sections. youth bands going to the national champs next week would have done well to run out their test piece. but never mind.

We played well although maybe still with room for improvement, delighted with the result, as we've been close to the top spot at a few contests without actually winning one. Rockingham sounded very well again, and Skelmanthorpe gave a super rendition of Roman Tryptch from last years finals. Good food, and a lovely hall to play in.

Well done to my team, and everyone else who took prizes on the day.

17. IJK

IJK Member

I do agree it was annouced that lithwaite got the prize but it was also annouced that they had 184 points as 5 of our guys wrote it down with the results.

Once again a well run contest from the team. And well done to the guys from Emley.

Just a real shame about 1 band in section A. When prize money is good

18. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

makes a nice change for us to win something!! :biggrin:

IJK, we'll speak with Alan and/or Dave tonight (couldn't raise alan yesterday after the contest, I think he must have gone home to bed or something!) I'll let you know as soon as I find anything out.

Well done to all the competing bands, thoroughly enjoyed my day. :clap:

19. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

I'd just like to add a huge thank you and well done to Slaithwaite band in Section A who having no-one to compete against could have easily turned up and just gone through the motions to take home their money, however they still put in a contest worthy performance, had a beautifully rich, full sound, and as the adjudicator said, played their march just how a March should be played. :clap: Well done boys and girls, you sounded great.

20. IJK

IJK Member

Have just had it confirmed this is the full results by Alan Kaye and the annoucement regarding the highest place fourth section band out of the prizes was wrong.

test piece

1st Emley (190 pts)
    2nd Rockingham (189 pts)
    3rd Skelmanthorpe B (188 pts)
    4th Hudds Brass (187 pts)
    5th Ireland Colliery (186 pts)
    6th Linthwaite (184 pts)

Hymn Tune

1st Rockingham (90 pts)
    2nd Ireland Colliery
    3rd Emley

Well done to everyone Ireland will be back next year

*edit*
    Points added
    2md.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2008
  21. Number1euph

Number1euph Member

Yep well done to everyone on the day. Some great playing done. Also a few people out there too who played with 2 or even 3 bands including myself. Well done to them for being flexible and helping.

Just hope next year a few more bands come out for the day because its a great little contest and very well run too and the hall is nice to play in.

Regards james

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Pogson-Bray Trust Contest
    WF12
    Championship Bands Sections C & B
    Section C -For Youth Bands Section B - For 3rd & 4th Section Bands Section A
    SECTION A