Pogson Bray Trust Contest 2006

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Matt Lawson, Apr 2, 2006.

1. Matt Lawson

Matt Lawson Member

Section C

1st. Scissett Youth
    2nd. Sellers International Youth
    3rd. Gawthorpe Brass '85

Best Section C Hymn: Scissett Youth

Section B

1st. Innovate Skelmanthorpe "B"
    2nd. THE EMLEY ('ave it!!)
    3rd. Clifton and Lightcliffe

Other bands placed were Littleborough Public and Huddersfield Brass, not sure who came 4th and 5th though. Linthwaite withdrew.

Best Hymn in Section B: THE EMLEY ('ave it!!)

Two bands, Meltham and Meltham Mills and Slaithwaite, were playing in Section A as I left. Results as they come in hopefully!
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2006
  2. Tack7

Tack7 Member

Having been to this contest today, i must say its a shame that more local bands dont support or turn up. In the top section there were only 2 bands & there are plenty in the area who are probably capable of just turning up & getting something from the day. Well done to Meltham & Slaithwaite for doing the work & taking part. Both had commendable performances.

3. Congratulations to our "B" Band for winning Section B today!!!
    Great result!

Contest Secretary
    Innovate Skelmanthorpe Band
  4. Matt Lawson

Matt Lawson Member

Indeed congratulations.

May I ask what you played? I had to dash off afterwards?
  5. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Well done to Innovative Skelmanthorpe B!! I gather you played very well.

I have to confess I wasn't expecting you to be our stiffest competition, so well done indeed. :clap:
  6. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

Brighouse isn't that far Simon ;)
  7. Owen

Owen Member

Well done to Skelmanthorpe B band - first ever contest win!
  8. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

Yes indeed, well done to Skelmanthorpe 'B', you guys played very well and deserved to be top of the pile!

It's a shame the contest is not better attended, as I told Al (the contest organiser) it'll be hard to create a regular following of bands when the venue keeps having to change - but as he said, it's not cheap and it can be really hard to get he same venue again and again!

Having said that, ther prize money is excellent and it's a freindly contest where everyone cheers all the bands results etc etc.

So we'll see more of you there next year?

As for the Emley, we played below par, too many silly error's to deserve much. Very pleased with the Hymn prize tho, and some nice remarks too!
  9. Well done The Emley:clap: I was there watching you all, mwuhaha:tongue:
  10. Col

Col Member

Well done Shat B good result for a good performance
  11. 1alexm

1alexm Member

3rd isn't so bad! I think we did alright.
  12. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

Yes third was a good result, and you had a few deps in which never helps! Sadly we couldn't hear you, wasn't that sound proofing amazing!
  13. markyboy

markyboy Member

Anyone know the top section results?
  14. barrytone

barrytone Member

Just to complete the results, Littleborough were fourth, Huddersfield Brass were fifth. Well done to all at Littleborough and congratulations to Matt. It takes a huge effort to build a band and now you're beginning to enjoy the rewards of taking on others at contests. You can only go up from here and you took a third section scalp! Can't be bad.

Any results from section A? I remember entering this contest several years ago, think it was 2003. Can only remember two bands in our section, section B. Larger entrance in section B yesterday. It suffers from being the week after Tameside, where there's big money on offer.
  15. Aaron

Aaron Member

Once again the local bands failed to pull theit fingers out & it was left to 2 2nd section bands to battle it out in section 'A'
    I shouldnt complain really tho...without the big boys there we did the hatrick on the test piece, we'll probably be barred now!!

March - Meltham & Meltham Mills (Mephistopheles)
    Test Piece - Meltham & Meltham Mills (Rennaisance, Peter Graham) 189 points
    2nd - Slaithwaite (Laudate Dominum) 188 points

I think Slaithwaite played 'The Red Shield' as their march, but dont quote me on that.
    A very close call as to the winners....but us & Slawit were the winners because we continue to turn up & support our local contest...& both took away good prize money too
  16. 2nd man down

I really can't understand why this contest isn't better attended, for a local contest the prize money is excellent. We need to all make a point of pushing this contest next year and get a few more bands there, especially in the top section.
  17. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

Just as a matter of interest, what was the prize money?
  18. barrytone

barrytone Member

My personal view is that it's too near the Tameside contest, in distance and date wise also. Traditionally it was an association contest, Lancashire bands couldn't enter, so they entered the Tameside Contest. I am of the belief that many of them still believe they're not eligible to enter.

Huddersfield and association bands could enter, but as the dates for Tameside and Pogson and Bray became nearer together, bands chose the contest with more prize money and an better auditorium to perform in, Tameside.

Are there many more "local" bands that could enter? Linthwaite withdrew, Huddersfield Brass, Slaithwaite and Meltham were there. It's their local contest being in the Colne Valley, where they're based. If the venue reverted back to Huddersfield Centre, I believe more bands would enter. It would be central for all bands not just those based in the Colne Valley.

Only my opinion, I believe it would increase entries but may increase costs also?
  19. 2nd man down

It was only in the Colne Valley this year because that was the only venue available for that particular weekend this year. In previous years the contest has been held at Whitcliffe Mount School in Cleckheaton and the year before it was at a school in Brighouse so I don't really think the venue has pigeon-holed the bands that enter.
    Littleborough, the self styled Emley of the North West were there which was excellent to see, and as for bands in the area, there are umpteen that could enter;

Brighouse & Rastrick Band - Brighouse
    Clifton and Lightcliffe Band - Brighouse
    United Co-op Yorkshire Band - Brighouse
    Emley Brass Band - Emley
    Vintage Brass Band - Golcar
    Hade Edge Band - Hade Edge
    Elland Silver Band - Halifax
    Hebden Bridge Brass Band - Hebden Bridge
    Hebden Bridge Junior Band - Hebden Bridge
    Holme Silver Band - Holmfirth
    Yorkshire Traction Honley - Honley
    Grange Moor Brass Band - Huddersfield
    Hepworth Band - Huddersfield
    Horbury Victoria Silver Band - Horbury
    Huddersfield Brass - Huddersfield
    Pennine Brass - Huddersfield
    Sellers International Band - Huddersfield
    YBS Band - Huddersfield
    Yorkshire Building Society Concert Brass - Huddersfield
    Peter Hawke Garages Lindley Band - Lindley
    Linthwaite Band - Linthwaite
    Marsden Silver Prize Band - Marsden
    Meltham and Meltham Mills Brass Band - Meltham
    Scissett Youth Band - Scissett
    Innovate Skelmanthorpe Brass Band - Skelmanthorpe
    Slaithwaite Band - Slaithwaite

in the Huddersfield/Brighouse/Halifax area alone, and I don't think it's restricted to just them.

As for prize money, i'm not too sure on the exact amounts but I'll find out. It is pretty good for a local contest tho.
  20. barrytone

barrytone Member

Sorry but still think the contest is too near Tameside, where the prize money is very good. Not saying that is the main reason to enter a contest, but I'm sure it figures in the decision.

After the areas, when you've worked on a test piece since January, it's nice to do some concert work and I am certain some bands do this instead of contests. Maybe another reason why the contest would be better later in year?

Plenty of bands are eligible to enter, perhaps the organisers should send a questionnaire to all these bands asking why they don't?

These are only my thoughts, not intended as a criticism of anyone involved in organising the contest, but as the question has been raised regarding the number of entries at this particular contest, I hope that my personal thoughts may be of some interest.