Pocket Trumpets

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by CaharleyFarley, Sep 7, 2004.

1. Just thought that I would share something here........... I took a risk a week or so ago and purchased a pocket trumpet off ebay. It cost me £60, was brand new and I have to say, is of top quality. It blows like a dream and I have checked the intonation against a tuner - it is spot on.

I say I took a risk because I know that so many fake Indian jobs are lurking on ebay. My girlfriend has since bought one.

I have no conection whatsoever with the seller (other than my purchase) - he seems to be putting them on ebay regularly, and IMHO - they are far below the deserved value.

SO.... if you have been toying with the idea of getting one............. these are VERY good value.
  2. iggmeister

iggmeister Member

So, are you saying that the one advertised in the link in your post is a dodgy one or, rather, one of the good ones that you purchased?

3. The link is to one of the good uns.

Although that auction has ended - this guy seems to feed them through on a regular basis.
  4. mp_TRMB

mp_TRMB Member

So a pocket trumpet? what does it sound like... a sop?

and is it only used for solo playing or can you play it in bands?
  5. impycornet

impycornet Member

He certainly does !

Missed out on a few due to being too tight !

Well done mr. Farley, You seem to have got a bargain !

As for the "what's it sound like" post .......

I despair !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. I know someone that bought one of these from a dealer (only in laquer finish) and was well impressed at the price £200.

The last one on ebay didn't attract any bids at all at a starting price of £80

I don't know who is making them - although mine does have Japan as origin..........but they are 1st Class.
  7. Moy

Moy Active Member

I have one and it's in BLACK lacquer it's a Jupiter and have had it for years.
    The bell on the ebay ones look very small compared to the mine.

Keep thinking I'll sell it and then change my mind.:-?
  8. Lil Miss

Lil Miss Active Member

I checked out e-bay, and looks like he no longer is sellin any or i just can't find any.
    How much is a pocket trumpet usually??/ I'm really interested in buyin a pocket trumpet, but am unsure about what i shld b lookin for, besides a good price.
    Can anyone help????
  9. The Cornet King

The Cornet King Active Member

Love my Pocket Trumpet, even though i aint had chance to play it for a while. There a bit of a novelty and good fun.

Mines a Jupiter, lacquer finish and from all i have seen these seem to be the best ones going, good quality and give a nice sound too.
    Picked up mine brand new for under £200 about 4 years back now i think.

Well recommend getting one. Have a look round a few online shops and i reckon you should be able to pick one up brand new at a very reasonable price.
  10. ScaryFlugel

ScaryFlugel Member

I saw one on sale at the WOMAD festival, Jupiter, turquoise lacquer, good sound, good case, £160 brand new. if only i could remember the name of the shop who had the stall. i am tempted to get one, just for the hell of it (and cos a flugel is a bit big to stick in your pocket when you go away!)

[edit: i thought it was jupiter, but they don't seem to do turquoise ones - maybe it was something else - but it was cute]
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2004
  11. ScaryFlugel

ScaryFlugel Member

sounds like a softish-toned trumpet, Bb pitch. you can play it wherever you want - in the bath or at the doctor's if you like!
  12. Lil Miss

Lil Miss Active Member

but apparently that dealer is no longer sellin any pocket trumpets, otherwise i'd hav bought one by now..... :-(
  13. Have you asked him? A friend of mine bought one from him (not on Ebay) for £75......she used the Ebay "contact member" link to arrange the deal.
  14. Hornblower RN

Hornblower RN Member

15. Cantonian

Cantonian Active Member

Does anyone reckon there could be a supplier and market for a tenor horn to fit the larger pocket???