Poaching - Right or Wrong?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by the kitchen sink, Jun 19, 2008.

Is poaching right or wrong

1. Right

63 vote(s)
  2. Wrong

32 vote(s)
  1. the kitchen sink

the kitchen sink New Member

This has probably been done before so apologies, but we have had a situation in our band where a significant number of players have disappeared to another local band within a six month period. Now it may be all above board (although we have identified a common denominator), but feelings are running fairly high that our numbers have depleted to the benefit of another band.

I have deliberately not named names and kept this as anonymous as I can.

I may be wrong in calling it poaching - so apolgies if anyone takes offence at the terminology - but I've added a poll (although I have a premonition as to what the outcome may be).

Any thoughts would be welcome on this.
  2. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

In my opinion people either stay with or leave a band because they want to.

I would have thought that rather than blaming the other band perhaps look to your own band as to why a significant number are leaving to join another band.
  3. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

Spot on. No need to say anymore really.
  4. bennem

bennem Member

The grass may always look greener in another band but without other bands telling players there are vacancies you may not even realise there is an opportunity elsewhere.

As said by thousands of others before me if a player is happy where they are they won't move. The new band must be offering something that your current band cannot or will not do otherwise why move?
  5. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

Nail hit firmly on head! :hammer
  6. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

By the way, the poll doesn't really make any sense. Have a read again and think about it. :wink:
  7. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

:) Fixed....

EDIT: Assuming those that answered "yes" really meant "right" of course...:oops:
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2008
  8. Poaching - isn't that what fishermen do? I thought us intelligent humans were clever enough to make our own decisions.... not seen many people with a hook attached to them in my band
  9. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

Bands don't own players. No such thing as poaching in banding.
  10. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

This has already had some pretty fair discussion here:

My stance has always been that we're all free to play for who we want, when we want, stay as long as we like and leave when we choose - for any reason.

Poaching is largely a myth. Bands generally don't lose players for no reason. The trick is to find out what those reasons are. Sometimes it's just for a change of scenery, other times it goes deeper than that.

Always tough losing players though. There's never enough to go round anyway. Best of luck.
  11. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

My thoughts exactly! :clap:
    I think your poll should have a third option: yes, no, doesn't happen

And it has been discussed before, a lot! Try here, here and here ;)
  12. UncleStreaky

UncleStreaky Member

Can't argue with that, Chunky.

My opinion? Don't spend all your time complaining about other bands poaching players and don't beat your own players up over any lack of commitment either. Better yet to give them a good reason to stay with your band and work together to make your band as good as it can be.

I'm sure most youth and lower section bands probably feel more threatened because of the time and effort they invest in young players, only to see them enticed into higher standard bands. But surely you can't begrudge someone the chance of the best possible playing experiences.

The solution isn't the same for every band because every band is different. But the key is probably something to do with good motivation and having a good MD, chairman/manager and committee to lead the way, and a real sense of direction that all the players can understand and work towards.

I used to get worked up when players were poached from bands I played with. But the truth is - they won't go unless they really want to.
  13. Always having to put up with an ex member or two trying to pinch the younger up and coming players of a band i'm with, which isn't on really considering the bands position.

You can't poach players but you can deliberatly tempt players - if the band is in another league to your band though then you can congratulate them on moving on but not when its a rival band just down the road at the same or even lower standard than yours with just a couple of greedy ex players trying to steal the best from their old bands to play with their new band

I do partly agree with the first post however, a player makes up his or hers own mind.
  14. leisa

leisa Active Member

I agree with most of the comments above, within the rules any player should be able to play where they want....Aiden is spot on, bands dont own players and if a player leaves i hardly think their first thought is 'this dude is tryin to poach me i better grab my coat then' people leave bands cos they aren't happy or aren't getting what they want from it. If people are genuinely happy then they cannot be tempted by anything.

It is tough losing players but maybe the bands should look at the reasons players are leaving and try to conker them head on rather than moaning about it.
  15. Di B

Di B Member

In good workplaces exit interviews are conducted. The question is asked why they are leaving. This enables the company to look at its own policies and make changes if needed.

Why dont bands do the same thing? I cant remember any band asking me why I left but if they did they might have managed others leaving for the same reasons. I would think most players would have no issue informing the committee why they left so maybe its something for bands to look at introducing?
  16. HBB

HBB Active Member

Totally agree with Aidan (... for once! ... :p )
  17. sugarplumfairy999

sugarplumfairy999 New Member

18. sugarplumfairy999

sugarplumfairy999 New Member

At the end of the day, this band is a soon to be 4th section band based in Audley!!!! So why are you bothered if people want to leave and join a soon to be Championship section band based in Sandbach?!?! People are moving on to better themselves obviously! Instead of spending time writing a silly thread on here why dont you spend the time trying to understand why people want to leave this band and then correct it so you have a full band in the future?
  19. leisa

leisa Active Member

So much for anonimity :rolleyes:

Despite that i think i agree with the point your trying to make, if people want to better themselves you cant really blame them for moving, if thats the only reason they are leaving then unfortunatly its just a bit of bad luck for the other band, but it happens...
  20. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

I think it's right when people join my band - and Wrong when people leave!
    you'll find most bandsmen think that way. I've asked players if they'd like to join my team, some do, some don't. Similarly some of my team hav been offered seats in other bands, some have gone, some haven't. We've got a happy team thats progressing quite nicely, that's why more stay than go. And you won't see our ad's for players, we've a full team.