pm-ing folk

Discussion in 'tMP Site News & Suggestions' started by 2nd man down, Dec 20, 2004.

1. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

When you're sending a pm i can't find a list of user names to pick you have to know exactly how to spell the recipients user name or am i missing something??

some peoples names spellings are a little hard to remember.
  2. HBB

HBB Active Member

3. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

If you're not sure of the correct spelling leave the recipiant field empty (or even have a stab at the spelling I suppose). When you try to send the PM it'll tell you you have entered an invalid username but within the message there's a link to the member list so you can then search for the user/correct spelling in the same way as browsing the member list.

I think that's right anyway....

4. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

HBB technically right, but missing the point . . .

The link would work fine if it would open in a separate window/tab. But it doesn't (at least not for me), so I have to make sure that I look up the name and write it down (using the ancient tool, the pencil ;) ) before going to the PM page.
  5. HBB

HBB Active Member

*Right click, open in new broser in IE*
    *Middle Button in Firefox*...
  6. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

:shock: Your mouse has a right button?

Yes, Mr. Tubb, I understand how to open a link in a new window. Of course, you have to remember to do it that way, which is not always easy for some of us "older" members . . .
  7. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

I'd go via the members list... makes sense to me...

The link opens in a separte window for me... thats down to your IE options.... none of this right clicky stuff

8. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

(Well done Naruco)
  9. 2nd man down

:confused: :-| :dunno

so how about if you want to sent the same pm to more than one person?!?!? How do you do that through the members list without going through the same procedure umpteen times (or writing down all their correct spellings??) Brasscrest knows what I mean by the looks of it!!

and I tried sending one to someone with a deliberately miss-spelt name and it just told me i'd got their name didn't then give me a list of possible options (which you'd think it would!!)

The user name field needs a "to" button that brings up a list of users that could then be scrolled through to find the intended recipient.

a very confused and apparently completely un-computer literate 2md. :-?
  10. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

What I do if sending to more than one person is to copy the basic text of the message when sending it the first time; you can then go to the members list, find the person and click on "send pm", paste in the message and off you go. Repeat ad lib (remember that the text will remain held in the 'copy' tool until you copy something else, so you can paste it as many times as you need) ;)
  11. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

You could always have the strain of opening up another IE window... set one for ya PM... and the other in the members list..... these things are easily sorted ;-)
  12. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

At the top of the pm window it does say that you can pm up to 5 people at a time. Just put their user names with a semicolon ; and a space between each one - just like on msn or outlook.
  13. 2nd man down

Yeah but you still have nowhere to select user names from (unless like naruco said you have the members list open in another window), which is fine, just so long as I know...I didn't know if I was being thick (again) and missing a button that would open a "search user name box" tool or something of that ilk.
  14. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

. . . 5 if you're a paid tMP supporter, the rest of the members can only do 2 at once.
  15. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

Alternatively, if you pm them a lot, stick them in your buddy list. This opens in another window and you can just click on it to send them a pm.
  16. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Ah! But that assumes Crawf's got some friends left :lol: