Please cheer me up

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by michellegarbutt, Dec 30, 2004.

1. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

I am devastated. Woke up on boxing day with a little niggly toothache which gradually got worse during the day. By the night I was screaming in agony. After trying in vain to find a dentist I ended up in the local casulty department where they dosed me up with pain killers. Finally managed to see a dentist this morning. Not only have I got a broken tooth and an extremely large abcess but the infection has spread into the jaw plus a few other things wrong. I was then told I need a minor operation and when did he want to do it? Two days before Butlins. After being told very nicely what he could do with this idea he then agreed to operate the monday after Butlins but told me I won't be allowed to play for at least 6 weeks. Since our area is the last weekend in February that rules me out. I am devastated. Please can someoneone cheer me up

2. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

awwwwwwwww you poor thing! Hope you get better soon, the band will understand and you can still go and support :)

3. daveredhead

daveredhead Member

hi sorry tro hear your troubles, dont know whether it will cheer you up , last night after work put casserole in oven, when ready, went to get it out, tripped over my old dog, shattereed casserole and dish, all over floor, wnt to get something else out of freezer, put on to cook, answered phone , burnt pan handle, set off smoke alarms, decided to have soup, hope you now feeling better and your pain has gone down, as for not playing for 6weeksto me it would mean possible drastic actions, like drink, as a sop player, that would be a rare thing:rolleyes:

4. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I don't know whether or not this will cheer you up, but I had to have dental surgery when we were in Sunderland - ended up playing bass drum for the big Good Friday procession with all the Sunday Schools as I still couldn't blow :shock:

Hope it all goes well, and that you'll soon be back at the helm ;)

5. michellegarbutt

Funny you mention that our conductor has just rang to see how I feel about playing percussion at the area. I don't mind that but I draw the line at playing bass drum on a march

6. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Oooh yes! Play percussion... you'll love it :D

Hope all goes well with sorting out ya tooth probs... sounds nasty.
    All the best... and enjoy playing at the back of the band! :D

Keep smiling :-D

7. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

Won't cheer you up, but:

I'm the same, I've had an abscess since Monday 20th December. Seen my own dentist (antibiotics), 2 emergency dentists, my doctor twice and a visit to casualty on Christmas Eve. Still not managed to see a proper dentist (Wed 12th Jan 11.30 am!) but I still have the abscess after 2 "drainings" and am still on drugs til Sunday. Not had a drop of Alcohol all Christmas, and could only start eating again on Monday really. When these antibiotics finish I'll either have to see another emergency dentist or go to hospital again when it grows!

Not an ideal end to the year, although at least I'd finished all my playing!

8. alanl58

alanl58 Member

This may cheer you up.

They pulled a tooth of mine on Dec 2nd, and I was playing again on Dec 4th, the start of 22 gigs in 20 days. Mind you I was/am in so much pain with leg ulcers that the pain from the tooth extraction was insignificant......

Good luck, you have my sympathy

Alan L
    Bude

9. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Sorry to hear your trouble, and you will be out of action but i would play percusion if i was you at least you will be playing at the CONTESTS:)

10. postie

postie Member

I agree entirely with Ian at least you get to play at the contest if you take up the offer.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    casulty department
    vain
    tooth
    abcess
    operation
  12. michellegarbutt

I've already agreed to have a go at percussion. God knows what sort of racket I'll make though as the only percussion I have ever played was a maraca in the percussion band at primary school

13. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

well, if you need any tips or help, feel free to ask! ;-)

Good luck with it, although i'm sure you'll be fine :D and most importantly..... ENJOY!

:-D

14. Di

Di Active Member

Good for you! :biggrin:

Hope all goes well for you and your tooth. ;)

15. johnthackhorn

johnthackhorn New Member

Hope this cheers you up...

Sorry to hear about your tooth, I hope you get a good result in time for Butlins. I had a major toothache some years ago and my dentist took a look at it and recommended an immediate extraction. However, to complicate things the swelling was pushing onto a facial nerve making the lower right side of my face numb. My dentist then pointed out that any damage caused during a local amnestied extraction to the nerve may cause permanent loss of feeling to parts of the face, obviously not recommended for brass players! But my dentist reassured me that under a general anaesthetic a successful extraction could be achieved…and it was. There was no damage to the nerve and I was playing within a week or so. Good luck.

16. cornetgirl

cornetgirl Active Member

Oh you poor thing honey!!!!

Come to me - I'll fix it! Actually....I'm pretty booked up meself, it's been absolutely mental over the Christmas period so people who have been able to get in have been very grateful.

If you need any advice or help give me a shout - that's what I'm here for!

Rach the tMP dentist xxx

17. NeilW

NeilW Member

Ouch!

Could the operation be done privately (maybe you've even got BUPA/HSA/PPP...)

Might be worth costing it to see - at least you can get it done when YOU want (i.e. sooner). If the price is ridiculous, then stick with the NHS.

Neil.

18. michellegarbutt

Thanks everyone. No I can't go private. I'm one of these poor people who survives on benefits. I could have had the op 2 days before Butlins but I told the dentist what to do with that idea. After all the chew organising it I'm certainly not going to let the band go and play without me, so I'm having the op the Monday after Butlins instead. It does mean I can't play at the area (well baritone anyway) but at least it's getting done

19. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

You are a silly old bugger Dave !