Playstation 2 !!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Heather, Dec 13, 2004.

1. Heather

Heather Member

Please. please - anyone got any ideas on how I can get a Playstation 2 for my little boy for Christmas?
    I've tried lots of things and actually had one sorted until today when I've found out that Comet made a mess of my order and they've all gone!! They still managed to take the money out of the account though!
    Any ideas or help would be appreciated. Cheers.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Playstation 2
    Comet
    little boy
    mess
    order
  3. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Can't get them for love nor money. Most shops have stopped taking orders cos they can't guarantee Christmas delivery. Your best bet would be a pawn shop for a secondhand "Fat" model.

Apparently the problem is two fold. Firstly a supertanker broke down in the Suez canal and caused a large traffic jam, including the container ship carrying Europes supply of PS2's. Secondly a worldwide shortage of tantalum, used in high temperature circuitry, has meant that Sony has been unable to ramp up production to meet demand. For what it's worth, I saw an Antonov 124 on the tarmac at Edinburgh airport at the weekend unloading PS2's. Apparently Sony hired several of them to airfreight PS2's to Europe when the incident with the tanker occurred.

4. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

I know a guy who's after one... he tells me that the reason the Playstation 2 has sold out everywhere is because of a late shipment from China... However I am also told that they are now being flown over and will be in the shops within the week?? Good luck!!

5. rightnowmusic

rightnowmusic Member

There seems to be plenty of them for sale here in the US, but I'm not 100% sure if you'll be able to use them (aside from the fact that the voltage is different,( but you could get an adapter for that), I'm not sure if the game discs would work).

Shame really... they're advertised at $149 (about GBP80) !

Good Luck with your search.

Mark :D

6. Heather

Heather Member

Hi - thanks for your messages and advice.
    Just thought I'd let you know that my father in law has managed to get me one from Argos in Wilmslow!
    For anyone else wanting one this might help...........he rang Argos head office in Milton Keynes and asked there. They looked through all the stores and found a couple which had them in stock. Wilmslow was the nearest to him.
    I presume he then went like a bat out of hell to get it.
    So, there's going to be one lucky boy with a smile on his face this christmas morning (and a mum too!!!!..phew!)
    Good Luck to anyone else trying to find one...

7. ComputerBloke

ComputerBloke Member

There was something in the media just recently about this.

I think it is partly because Sony have released a new "slimline" version of it and they have had some production/delivery problems.

A lot of shops banking on selling a lot of these over the Christmas period are finding that stocks are limited and are *only* selling them as part of "bundle" items, i.e. with lots of games and extra stuff which bumps the price up considerably to ensure that the shops get their revenue.

This has lead to speculation that some of the bundles are actually more expensive than if you bought the items separately.

Either way, it's a scandal....

8. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

If you try this once you've found out where they are in stock immediately ring that store. Argos will resrve goods for 24 hours for you as long as they are in stock