Playing with/recovery of a hernia

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by waynefiler, Jan 5, 2011.

1. waynefiler

waynefiler Member

Ive just had confirmation that I have a hernia, tis only small at the moment but was wondering if anyone has any experience of playing with one and how long recovery will be i.e how long i'll be off blowing.

Thanks all.

2. agentorange

agentorange Member

I had a small umbillical hernia repaired in July of last year and was off band for about 3-4 weeks. If memory serves correctly, i was able to have a 5 minute blow after 2 or 3 days, and could manage half an hour after a week or so. Before the op I'd been playing with the hernia for at least 9 months with no problems.

Having said all that, a work colleage (of similar age, build and fitness) had a hernia of the same size repaired a couple of months before mine and really struggled with his recovery so i guess everyone is different.

Good luck.
  3. pbirch

pbirch Member

This is a question to discuss with your surgeon. It will all depend on the type of hernia you have and the technique your surgeon uses to repair it.
  4. waynefiler

waynefiler Member

It's an umbilical hernia, fairly small at the mo. But being an army musician, I'm fairly concerned how long I'm going to be out for.