Playing while tired - Do you use anything to wake you up?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Andy_Euph, Oct 11, 2005.

1. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Hiya just wondering today, as i'm absoultely shattered (very little sleep over the last few days) whether its a good idea to take anything like pro plus to wake you up and make you more alert, or have a cup of coffee, or nothing at all?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    days
    good idea
    little sleep
    Playing
    cup of coffee
  3. HBB

HBB Active Member

Proplus doesn't work with me :(

4. jingleram

jingleram Active Member

Would reccomend sleeping during band, does wonders to improve relationships with the MD. Also refreshes you!!

5. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Red Bull always works with me... you should try it...

hehehe

6. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

lots of coffee :) (Im not at all addicted) Or do what jingleram says, hehe.

7. HBB

HBB Active Member

Bleugh! can't stand coffee lol (besides growing up near a coffee factory!)

8. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

Its lovely :D Dont like some brands though carte noire and nescafe are the best with lots of sugar. You could always hide behind your euph and sleep.

9. jingleram

jingleram Active Member

Lucozade tablets

10. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

My father swears this is a true story:

Back in the 1950s, my father was a student at the Eastman School of Music. During an orchestral performance, one of the percussionists (who had apparently had a bit of a late evening the night before) had a long stretch with nothing to play. And he promptly fell asleep. Awaking just before he was to play a large and rather important part on the crash cymbals, he quickly reached back without looking, grabbed the leather straps that he touched, and brought his hands quickly to the front, to crash the cymbals together . . . at which point he learned, to his chagrin, that he had actually picked up the cardboard covers from the smaller timpani, which sounded nothing like crash cymbals when smashed together.

Back to topic: Coffee = acid = not good for the plumbing on your instrument

11. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Being in that sort of situation many times over the years, I find that Trebor extra strong mints kept me ticking over when I needed an energy boost. Coffee and caffeine based alternatives just made me want to run to the toilet more and more.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    days
    good idea
    little sleep
    Playing
    cup of coffee
  13. jingleram

jingleram Active Member

Yeah mints are good, especially 'World of Brass Mints' *advert*

14. lottie4744

lottie4744 Member

Pro Plus....... there's a few of us that swear by it towards the end of the NYBB weeks!

15. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

I try and avoid taking pro plus, and I cannae stand Red Bull, although the coffee I had in the pub after band this morning worked wonders! Not much use after the rehearsal though... :-?

16. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

Boost bars. Or I can send my dog round, she'd wake you up :D

17. jingleram

jingleram Active Member

Hmm your dog does appear to have evil eyes!!

18. backrowbloke

backrowbloke Member

few suggestions form Dr. Backrow's personal book of useless remedies....
    a) Sit in front of the trombones - always wakes me & I'm the opposite side from them
    b) Coffee - nothing better than Java java java java....
    c) Red Bull, but only if contains Vodka - wakes me up and makes me feel funny at the same time ;) (note - don't try this in a concert interval as it make the second half playing very interesting :p )
    d) try (c) without the Red Bull the night before - helps with the sleeping :D

19. six pints

six pints Active Member

try sleeping!!

when we had our silly caberet rehearsals til 5 am in the morning i ate porridge. with digestives broken up inside. and then after rehearsals did physics coursework. went to bed 2 days later. but i am strange....

i also once took a whole packet of proplus. great fun!! drives u mad!!

20. flower girl

flower girl Member

i sit infront of a sop player so with him screamin out the top notes i have no problem staying awake no matter how tired i am

21. vonny

vonny Member

I think it's a bad idea to take anything with large doses of caffine in.. I have done in the past taken pro plus but they just made me aggitated, and coffee well i love it...
    Howcome you have had little sleep andy? I'm not being nosey - honest ;) I think if you have 'had stuff' on your mind this can contribute to us not being able to sleep, and if we take remedies like pro plus they aren't going to solve the issue... Anyway i sense i am going off a tangent - sorry...

Maybe a nice cup of coffee will do the trick - and mine is strong one please :biggrin:

Yvonne x

22. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Lol tis fine, haven't had anything on my mind really so not sure, its just been really hot the last few days and i've been woken up a couple of times.

Thanks for replying, in the end i didn't take anything and was ok, think the fact I was tired made me more alert (if that makes sense:confused: )