Playing while marching

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by brownrob, Jun 12, 2009.

1. brownrob

brownrob Member

I've marched for a few years and never had a problem, but recently I decided to correct my technique and now have the mouthpiece exert very little pressure on my lips but as you can imagine, when marching when my feet hit the ground it skews the mouthpiece off my lips slightly and awful sounds come out. It isnt too bad on good roads, but what we call roads here, you may call mountain passes over on the mainland! :D We were practicing last night on a footall pitch and I certainly didnt do myself any justice! Especially on Sop!!!

Are there any tips and tricks to playing effectively while marching. Ta!

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    mouthpiece
    lips
    night
    didnt
    good roads
  3. yank67

yank67 Member

Its not your playing that needs the work, its could be your marching.

When you step off point your toes up, land on your heal and roll your foot down from heal to toe in a slow arch like motion.

This will stop the bumping and jaring.
    It will feel odd at first, but over time it will work. Do it while walking around during your day.

4. Mike Saville

Mike Saville Member

I know several ex military bandsman and the main concern was not playing but keeping uniform/helmet/instrument etc in the right place. The reasons the bands are so large when you see them on parade is that half of them aren't actually playing!!

5. SoloCornet

SoloCornet New Member

6. BariPower

BariPower Member

Thats amazing, we can't march in a straight line over here!

Last edited: Jun 13, 2009
  7. David Mann

David Mann Member

8. David Mann

David Mann Member

Watched Trooping The Colour this morning, great playing and marching, but I always feel sorry for the bassoon player.

9. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

In the past, it used to be common for the bassoonist to take the bass drum on the march and the oboist the cymbals - not so common these days, and now the numbers have been cut they need to put everyone out on parade to avoid any gaps.

Anyway, although he might not be heard much, as least he won't smash his lip on the mouthpiece!!!

10. jrshimmon

jrshimmon Member

I agree soft feet are the key and rolling the foot from Hell to toe I found helps its easiest when you're getting used to it as well to where soft flexible soled shoes. Then all you have to do is master keeping the instrument in the position that does not cause your music to jump about. I can not explain my trick for that.