Playing two notes at the same time....

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by TuTuKu, Nov 28, 2003.

1. TuTuKu

TuTuKu Active Member

.... How is it done?

I've heard many tuba soloists use this technique and it always sounds very impressive (i'll always remember hearing one playing the national anthem under a long sustained note! :shock: 8) ). Someone once told me that the part is "sung" underneath..... is this true? and can it work on smaller instruments such as a cornet or horn??

TuTuKu xxxx
  2. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

If you play a note on the instrument and sing the "Fifth" of the chord thro the mouthpiece from the back of the throat at the same time, the "Third" and upper Octave are also sounded - producing the full chord.
    You've got to try and balance it by singing the note at the same volume as the played note.
    I've only ever done it on EEb Bass, and it sounds brill, but it is totally impractical for public performance - just a trick to play with in personal practice.
    It is very good for Aural training though, because if you don't sing the "5th" bang in tune, it doesn't work.
    If you sing the "3rd" some strange harmonics are produced.
    I've wasted many happy and frustrating hours attempting to master it
    - make sure no one is around whilst you're trying it or they'll send for the men in white coats !!!!!!!!
  3. JessopSmythe

JessopSmythe Active Member

4. Vickitorious

Vickitorious Active Member

My teacher was trying to get me to do this the other day, apart from not singing it, playing it.
    She told me to play a bottom C and think of the G and when I was ready to try and play the G without loosing the C. It was the first time I had tried so it came out as a kind of 'no valved' F! It's difficult but possible!
  5. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

James Morrison does it on Trumpet and trombone, but I wanna know how...

When I learned to do it, I played a low G on Eupho (Concert F for those learning that way) and sang the D (Con C). That's how I worked it out. Then I started working on it as a technique, changing it to follow the pitch of my note (trying to do a scale in fifths - that's fun!). However, the multiphoniced note is limited to your voice. James Morrison must be singing falsetto when he goes multiphonicked on trumpet. I can only do it on EE Flat in the "normal" range. I suppose trumpet/cornet multiphonics shopuld be left to those who natuurally have that pitched voice......
  6. asteria

asteria Member

Do you mean he plays a trumpet and a trombone at the same time? Suppose thats one way of doing it.....
  7. HBB

HBB Active Member

bit of a cheat though :wink: :lol:
  8. Okiedokie of Oz

LMAO!! I mean, although I have seen him play 2 trumpets, and a trumpet and trombone similtaneously, I was trying to say that he is capable of multiphonics on both trumpet, and trombone.
  9. David Robinson

David Robinson New Member

I would say just get a keyboard and play a note on that and on your instrument.
  10. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

The way I learnt it, is to sing from the back of your throat- so that you kind of sound like Mr Bean :D (You may laugh but it works).
    Then begin to try and sing, and buzz through your mouthpiece at the same time- so that your buzzing and singing from the back of your throat at the same time.
    Then when you think you are achieving that well, then try doing it with the instrument so that you are playing a note and singing from the back of your throat.
    For me it was easier on middle C and the B below it at first. Then as I gradually got better you can do it on most notes.
    It also worth a mention that it is far easier on instruments with bigger mouthpieces, and much harder for those with smaller ones- i.e. cornet etc.
    Good luck with it, it's fun when it works. :wink:
  11. The Cornet King

The Cornet King Active Member

How so very true :?
    I've experimented with this on numerous occasions and being a cornet player i tend to get a sound similar to that of a frog! :lol: ( death be to he/her who says i sound like that anyway! :wink: )

It's all good fun. I can just about do it when the notes are below bottom C, above that and its just weird! :D

Oh well...i shall keep trying.

But if you wanna hear it done the Euro 2003 DVD and listen to a piece called Fnugg by Tuba soloist Oystein Baardsvik. Its absolutely amazing :D
  12. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

Yup, its fantastic!!! Oystein is absolutely amazing at it, and makes it look so easy as well!! :? :( :cry: :wink:
  13. Steve

Steve Active Member

I never realised you were meant to sing the dominant, I always go for the third of the chord but an octave above and it makes a cracking big chord. You can do it on any notes though, I know many a christmas carol that can be done as a duet by one person. Both parts of The flower duet from Lakme is a tricky one but can sound great as a party piece.
  14. Okiedokie of Oz

There is a tuba solo, which I cannot think of (typical me!!) where, in one section you play an ascending scalic passage, while you sing it down....

Sounds impressive, but beyond me.