Playing Time v. tMP time

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by DublinBass, May 17, 2005.

How do you spend your time?

1. I spend much more time on tMP than actually playing my horn (drums)

2. Too close to call

3. I spend much more time actually playing my horn (drums) than on tMP

1. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I was begining to think that if I spent as much time playing my horn as I spent on tMP, I might be a really good player. In fact, I've gone through stretches in which I've played more than been on tMP and I notice the almost immediate improvement.

How do you spend your time?
  2. Just Crazy

Just Crazy Member

i suppose its down to time and when it is.

I can go on the computer anytime but i cant practise anytime. (can see my neighbours cringe at me talking about it never mind actually doing it)
  3. The Cornet King

The Cornet King Active Member

I definately spend more time on tMP than practicing (oh so very sad!)

In fact now you mention it i blame tMP for my decline in form since i joined up! ;)

Like the above said though, its down to where you are, internet is easily accessible but i dont think the uni would like me practicing in the library, might get some funny stares!
  4. sterlingsop

sterlingsop Member

Same here - can't see my colleagues being impressed if I whip out my cornet in the office!

Having said that, if I've got some time to myself at home and I have a choice of blowing or tMPing, I choose blowing. Except this week, coz I'm off work with a nasty virus that has left my chest feeling like someone's been practising CPR on me. I can't even cough without pain let alone summon up enough brass-standard air control to produce a note!! :mad:
    Last edited: May 17, 2005
  5. Just Crazy

Just Crazy Member

I work in retail and however much customers like entertainment, my part played on its own means nothing to them.

Im also off this week on holiday so i will be practising more than being on here unless the need of retail theraphy takes over!

Get well soon sterlingsop
  6. fitzy

fitzy Active Member

I swing a bit. At the moment I spend MUCH more time playing and it will be like that for the next few months.

I do go through patches when I tmp more than I play though.............................
  7. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

(BTW I just realised I voted in the wrong column by accident as I am typically on tMP more than I practise because, as others have mentioned, having the appropriate time and place to practise is more difficult than having the appropriate time and place to tMP)
  8. sterlingsop

sterlingsop Member

Thanks for that - I hope it's ok for friday night, or Pompous Main will sound more like Pathetic Pain!

I'm off to lie down again now....:(
  9. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

Let's see....

Dragging the tuba from the store room my parents let me keep it in to the lounge room - 5 mins.
    Setting up the chair, stand, music, tuba and spit towel - 5 minutes
    Warmup (essential before any playing!!!!) - 10 minutes.
    Pack up time afterwards - 10 minutes

compared to.....

Sitting down at a computer and clicking favourites - 10 seconds
    LOADING tMP - 10 seconds on a good day
    walking away from computer when done - 2 seconds.

Hmmmm, which one would YOU rather do????
  10. JessopSmythe

JessopSmythe Active Member

Since most of my tMPing is done at times / places where I can't practice i.e. In the office or after the baby is in bed, I see no conflict. At least tMP is more closely related to practising than watching TV is;)
  11. persins

persins Member

I think an equally valid poll would be:

Do we spend more time on tMP than actually doing what we should be i.e. studying, working??!!!

Tough call for me sometimes,

Doh, the boss is coming!!!!!
  12. Lisa

Lisa Member

The answer to that is definitely yes!! :eek: In fact, the more work I have, the more i'm looking for a distraction...
    As for practicing, I sometimes practice at the same time as being onthe computer...which i guess doesn't really say much for the level of concentration I put into practicing! :-?
  13. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

I spend more time on tMP than practising. :oops: But how long are you meant to practise for every day? :confused: My music teacher thinks Im getting better so I reckon what Im doing is OK.
  14. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

I do an hour a day, (practice) most days unless I happen to be out all day, and use tMP usually at times when I cant practice (like now for instance) and in the evenings. Gotta be a bit careful with practice, I stay in a tenement block, and dont want to upset the fellow on nightshift upstairs....
  15. Flugelmahorn

Flugelmahorn Member

Definitely more time practising or playing than on tMP. Helps not having a computer at home.
  16. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Now that is sad! ;)

I suffer because of work. It interferes with playing, practice and tMP. At certain times of the year it is very hard to get anything done because of it. :) I'm thinking of jacking the job in and going full-time tMP ;)
  17. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

What you do is move to erm this country cant remember what its called though, anyway get married (possibly) have a kid an you get two years off on full pay an your job back. Think of how many posts you could make in two years. This is according to my geog teacher so if its wrong dont blame me.
  18. cornetgirl

cornetgirl Active Member

If I practised as much as I tMPed, I'd be pretty damn good by now!!! Maybe I should try a scientific experiment....

As I can't drill and tMP at the same time I don't access tMP at work. Therefore if for a week I spent my tmP time practising, would I be any good at the end of it???

I'll let you know when I can bear to start the experiment!

Rach x
  19. Ruthless

Ruthless Member

Practice...what is that? I thought that was why I went to band:clap:. Never caused me any problems up till now (Although Richard may disagree!) As for tmp when I start I can't stop...but I don't start very often!!Ruth
  20. cornetgirl

cornetgirl Active Member

Thank goodness!!!!!!!!! ;-)

Rach x

(Ian's still on the autobahn I think!!!)