Playing the cornet and the trumpet

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by AndrewL, Jan 24, 2011.

1. AndrewL

AndrewL Member

I currently play cornet in a brass band and am thinking about buying a second hand trumpet. However I'm not sure whether playing the trumpet will affect my cornet playing. Does anyone have any advice?

2. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

I know of a lot of cornet players that play trumpet and also flugal without any negative problems. just need to be aware of what you are playing and not to be to harsh when back on cornet. I have noticed that can happen Playing a cornet like it was a trumpet.
    Unlike Maurice Murphy who could make a Trumpet sound soft like a cornet. heard some recordings of him recently , What a Player he was.
  3. mjwarman

mjwarman Member

If you do decide to take the plunge, try and match your mouthpieces as best you can. I used to struggle moving between the two, but after getting my mouthpiece choices right, have no problems anymore.
  4. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

You can buy an adapter to allow the cornet mouthpiece to be used in the trumpet.
  5. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

I wouldn't recommend an adaptor long term, but it is cheaper than a new mouthpiece for trumpet initially. However, cornet mouthpieces and trumpet mouthpieces are very different, cornet being traditionally V shaped, trumpet bowl shaped. To get a trumpet sound, you will need a trumpet mouthpiece.

I use Warburton mouthpieces so I can have the same mouthpiece rim size, with different cup shapes/depths, works fine for me (but these can be expensive, but also can be picked up on eBay).

Without seeing or hearing you play, it's difficult to say what your issues may be (if any!).. I would say, technically, and possibly physically (depending on relative bores of your instruments), there is no difference, musically, yes.. there is a big difference.

Just like cornet playing, where you (I assume! :)) strive to sound like your hero ! (Marshall/Webster/Shepard etc..), who has inspired you to play trumpet? a Jazz player, Scream big band player, Classical player etc ? This will influence the kind of trumpet player you wish to become..

if any of that makes sense.. :)
  6. mjwarman

mjwarman Member

+1 for Warburton. Took a few months to get used to the Cornet Cup and backbore (3BC) but patience paid off and now can switch over during the same piece and only difference I feel or hear is the mellower sound. Struggling to find a trumpet cup (currently 3D, 9star backbore) where I can go move between extreme ranges comfortably though, (Virtuosity for example).

Agree with the expensive bit, you'll be waiting for ever to find the bit you want on eBay, I know I was, so ended up blowing best part of £140!!!

Sorry to hijack the thread OP.
  7. AndrewL

AndrewL Member

Thanks for the replies. I will give it a go. All my inspiration has came from classical trumSt players and brass quintets (especially Canadian Brass) so I guess that's the type of playing I will be attracted to. I also have some trumpet studies and concertos that just don't sound right on the cornet.

The Warburton mouthpieces sound like a good way forward.
  8. trumpetbabe

trumpetbabe New Member

I also play in this order 1. trumpet, 2. flugel & 3. cornet. I agree with the person who said keep the mouthpieces as similar as you can, it does help. It doesn't work well to chop & change between different mouthpieces! Enjoy your trumpet..........:D