Playing Square On

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by CaharleyFarley, Nov 4, 2003.

1. I have today made a bit of a discovery which may (or may not) be of interest.

It all happened whilst trying to get that Denis Wick practice mute buzzing...... When playing the Cornet I have always held it so that the top rim of the bell is "centre on" ie if you drew a line from nose going away, it would cross the top rim of the bell at about centre. This means that the cornet is not "square on" to the lips!!

Having discovered this - I then tried looking down the lead tube (if thats what its called, I mean the tube fron the mp to the first main bend of the instrument)......so that the bell was slightly to the left. The effect on sound was immediately different. The DW mute buzzed like a wasp in attack mode!

I hope I havn't just stated something so totally obvious.......but it has eluded me for 38 years!! (even though I occasionally play in a mirror - I have only been looking at mp placement etc)

2. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

That reminds me of something I was taught. Where you just buzz on your mouthpiece and then while doing it attach your instrument and it will be in the best position for your embouchore rather than your instrument!

3. Emb_Enh

Emb_Enh Member

but it has eluded me for 38 years!! (even though I occasionally play in a mirror - I have only been looking at mp placement etc)
    ===========================================

And you still are...but...at least with the INST at this new angle/position you have found the RESONANT-CENTRE OF PITCH, which is suitable to YOUR physiology [teeth etc]

We are NOT all the same physiologically speaking and so we cannot all play and LOOK exactly the same.

We cannot all use the same mpc size either - we don't all use the same shoe size do we? :lol:

Learn to control your new found playability and RIDE the AIRSTREAM for relaxed, resonant, clear toned playing. --WELL DONE! [enjoy!]