Playing Quiet

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by HBB, Feb 6, 2004.

1. HBB

HBB Active Member

I've just swapped from Cornet to Eb Bass and I was wondering whether you could give me any advice in playing quietly, I can't do It!!!!

Thanks

Ben

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Playing Quiet
    advice
    Cornet
    Eb Bass
    Ben
  3. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

4. HBB

HBB Active Member

Tried that ...... but It comes out really loud compared to the other basses :shock: :(

5. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

Go back on cornet?? :wink:

Sorry, this has been a very long week!!!

6. Naomi McFadyen

7. HBB

HBB Active Member

Serious! : :(

8. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

Get everyone else to play louder! :D

It's cause you're sitting next to John :D

I think it's one of those, fill the instrument but don't force the air through things.

9. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

all about lung control i think... try and get a slow constant airflow, while buzzing at just the right speed, and keeping things in tune... nothing much!

10. James McFadyen

James McFadyen New Member

Quetly, what's that! I know how to play loud!! Mind u, writing ffffff in Opposition of Mars perhaps shows I like things loud :)

11. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

and you obviously aren't too hot on latin grammar...

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Playing Quiet
    advice
    Cornet
    Eb Bass
    Ben
  13. James McFadyen

James McFadyen New Member

14. HBB

HBB Active Member

And yet another topic's gone dreadfully off-topic.....

15. Naomi McFadyen

16. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

A nice tip I picked up not too long ago goes something along these lines:

When your parts are marked piano, don't play quiet but use less air-speed, vice-versa for parts marked forte.

17. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

I find best thing for quiet passages is plenty of air through the instrument at a slower speed.

Making such a jump, there possibly a sub-concious feeling that you have to force the air to fill the instrument.

Plenty of air and control thats the key.

18. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Moving to a larger bore is always likely to present problems in adjusting. As has been said it is important that enough air is going through to produce a steady tone. Do you find it hard playing quietly at all, or is it that you're afraid that the note won't sound unless you give it enough power?

I think sometimes, particularly with a larger instrument, players can be so anxious to get a good start, and not end up behind the beat, that it can sound a bit like a mini explosion at the start of a phrase. I would recommend lots of practice - of course - plenty of long notes and legato playing, starting at a dynamic you feel comfortable with, and then gradually getting quieter, but ensuring tone quality stays good and even.

And congratulations on joining the right section of the band :!: :wink: :lol:

19. ted

ted Member

Just sit back (mentally), relax and fill your instrument slowly with air. Now, you've done your time on cornet and earnt your promotion into the right side of the band. Don't blow it. (2 puns in a row! Peter's gotta be happy about that...)

Ted

20. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

you mean diaphragm control ;) but don't fall into the trap that a slow airflow means less air.. its just less speed, you need more air-support to produce a nice quiet note than a loud one.