Playing on upper lip is bad?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by xRinat, Aug 16, 2009.

1. xRinat

xRinat Member

Is it bad to play on the red of upper lip? If it is, what's bad about it?

2. tromguy3

tromguy3 New Member

hi...Its the top lip that makes the buzz so the loser to the bottom of the top lip stops it...I always found playing in the upper range very hard when i had a low mouthpiece position...no probs now that its in the correct place....having said that many good players can play really well like it...

3. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

xRinat. Though people might mean well, you need to speak to a teacher.

We can't (and shouldn't) give a diagnosis online without seeing or hearing what's going on.

4. xRinat

xRinat Member

Im sorry that was not what I meant.
    From what I heard, brass players allways curls their upper lip, so when they place the mouthpiece on their lip it doesnt go directly onto the lip. I dont know much about this, but I want more information, that is why I am asking people here, they got more knowledge than me(obvously, im only 16).

5. This is the best advice. In 40+ years of teaching I have seen good players with very strange embouchres, and they make it work. See a good instructor for specifics.

6. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

What he said ^.

For information about these kinds of things you should definately go to a teacher and show them, if possible, what you are asking about.

7. xRinat

xRinat Member

Ok, I shall call a profesional player and take lessons ;)

8. Vegasbound

Vegasbound Active Member

That would be my advice also...

9. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

I suggest talking to Martin or Gary.