Playing Off Stage Where Marked On Part

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by ian perks, Dec 9, 2005.

1. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Just a question i want to ask:
    Our test piece for Pontins 1st Section as the soprano part to play off stage,in the 2nd movement.
    The question have you ever played off stage where it as said or have you played on stage and took no notice,
    Also does it have a different sound off stage at all.

2. drummerboy

drummerboy Member

As long as you place the off stage player correctly, then it should make a lot of difference. Something like offstage part in The New Jerusalem would sound a bit deflated if someone was just playing it in the wings.
    Similarly when a piece of mine for orchestra was recently played, the off stage cornet part was done as far away as possible from the orchestra, to get the right effect. I would have gone crazy if it hadn't have been done off stage!
    So in my experience yes I have done the off stage parts off stage, and it works wonderfully as long as you're careful!

3. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

When The New Jerusalem was used in London every band I saw had the cornet soloist away from the band; some on the other side of the hall, some just 15 feet away. Alan Morrison played in the gallery at the very top of the RAH on the opposite side from the band - sounded brilliant.

4. dyl

dyl Active Member

Just out of interest, where is this marked? Letter 'H' by any chance? ;)

5. six pints

six pints Active Member

ive done the whole off stage thing before and it does make a difference. plus if ur the person going off stage u can go for a quick pint and then play a fun game of hide from the band- simply by choosing a different place to appear everytime, everyone gets immensely confused!

6. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I believe it is "On Alderley Edge" that features a horn at the start, marked "off-stage". At the Albert Hall we saw variations including the player in his usual seat, standing at the side of the stage and even a few rows up the stairs at the side. As far as I remember there were only one or two bands that placed the soloist off-stage - one in particular standing in the corridor at the back of the stage, which to my mind was the most effective version of all, despite the difficulties of co-ordination.

7. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Not a contest peice,but there is an arrangement of Grieg's Solveg's song with an off stage cornet solo. Wigston did it a few years ago and we put the soloist in an (unused by the audience) balcony right at the back of the hall. It sounded fantastic and really gave the piece a lift.

I've never done it myself (not too many off stage flugel parts I don't think) but I can't imagine its any different to play off stage than playing a solo on it - but it certainly changes the way a solo sounds within the setting of the piece.

8. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Just wondering ... is it possible to 'cheat' a little with a player playing (soft) muted in the wings to create an effect of distance?