Playing In A Mood

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by bigmamabadger, Mar 30, 2005.

1. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

How far does mood affect your playing?
    I was really really tired and stressed out last night and I could barely play a note. Yet at other times I've been tired and moody and found that playing really helped.
    Also sometimes I thought was pretty happy only to find my horn making noises like a strangled bagpipe.
    BMB
    xx

P.S. Apologies to any band members for any offence caused...Bad-Tempered Badger!

2. CLAIRE SPONG

CLAIRE SPONG Member

I find a headache makes you play sharp!! Think I wince while I'm playing the notes, but then I do play sop!!

3. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

If I can't be bother or the conductor ****es me off you can usually tell...I play everything FFF, start making parts up and start screeching about in the upper register!

Im pretty childish sometimes when I can't be bothered but thats only because I'm a moody little ****

4. The Cornet King

The Cornet King Active Member

I find that when i'm in a bad mood its just not worth it. Normally play awfully. You just feel like you can't be bothered and blast things loudly.
    Surprisingly i find i play best when i'm ill. Dont know why. Maybe it makes you concentrate more or you just think about it a lot less and just get on and play things.

Tis strange.

5. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

When I'm moody or stressed I'll just do random shtuff on kit.... it's a good therapy I find to play how you feel... but I couldnt calm myself down my playing a slow melody if I'm annoyed over something...
    Most of the time however, I won't bother playing.... sometimes I'll try write some music, which helps with setting the right mood of a piece etc...

6. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

Sadly, the fact that I couldn't play well made me even crosser...

BMB
    xx

7. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

...then the best thing to do is to put ya instrument down gently before you chuck it on the floor.... ;-)

8. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I've certainly found that a bit of private practice can work wonders in dispelling bad emotions - or in working them through in some way or other. The problem if attending practice is that the chances are the music on the stand will not match your feelings - just when you'd like to be pumping out something like "Elsa's Procession" you find your're expected to be delicately underpinning "Chanson d'Amour" or another of the same ilk :mad:

9. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Generally I find playing normally gets me out of a bad mood if I happen to be in one. But I do tend to play the louder stuff too loud and if I start to play badly when I'm already in a bad mood then things really go downhill :redface:

10. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

If I'm angry and stressed before band a good blow can sort me out. If I'm just in an irritable mood then it's best to ignore me and my rubbish playing and let me wallow in my own selfpity.
    If I'm tired then I'm shockingly terrible. I can't concentrate, I forget key signatures, get carried away with my counting and realise I should have been playing three bars ago.
    Other than that...I'm fine :rolleyes:

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    BMBxx P.S.
    Badger
    Mood
    Playing
    times
  12. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

I've often suspected this myself, and found the answer in the book "The Inner Game of Music" the other day - when you're feeling off-form (but not in dire shape, obv.), your expectations of your own performance are lower, so you worry less about what's coming out. In the book's words, you give yourself "permission to fail". The little voice that says "Top C is a hard note to reach - don't split it now, everyone's listening" shuts up.

13. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

[Ali G]You is very frank, Caroline![/Ali G]

14. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Strange one this...If I have a headache and I play, it usually cures the headache..and I've found that I play better hungover....tho this is probably because I've had to play hungover so many times.
    Sunday mornings used to be a cow! But the tone you achieve trying not to make yourself wince or chunder is beautiful!

15. 2nd man down

Okaaaaaaay! :shock:

16. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

I think the best place to be when you are in a bad mood is the percussion section - you get to beat the hell out of something! ;-)

Seriously though, my mood tends to improve very quickly at band, as it takes my mind off whatever was bothering or annoying me, even if my playing isn't too hot :)

17. neiltwist

neiltwist Active Member

what ever happened to the word 'beurgh'?

Anyway,

I often find moods don't affect my playing, as I go straight into another world as soon as I start playing. Illness is a slightly different matter, my lung capacity can be diminished, or I can go for a fast, deep breath and do the opposite of coughing (as in draw some goo towards my lungs) which then stops me and makes me cough.

18. Daniel Sheard

Daniel Sheard Member

Used to play In the Mood a lot - will that do?

Daniel

19. ScrapingtheBottom

ScrapingtheBottom Active Member

My mood doesn't really affect my playing as my embouchre has a little life of it's own.

20. 2nd man down

because you're ALWAYS miserable? ;)

21. kate_the_horn

kate_the_horn New Member

depends on the mood!

if im angry and annoyed, i play very loud and tend to razz a few notes.
    if im sad, i play really quietly but really nicely!

i tend to always be nervous, but i play my best at these times!

k x

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    BMBxx P.S.
    Badger
    Mood
    Playing
    times