Playing in a 2nd Band

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Charmed, Oct 14, 2006.

1. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

I was just wondering what it was like for those of you who play in 2 bands. ie, you're registered band, and a band that does not contest.

I love being a part of my band, obviously, but being as involved as I am, often adds pressure, lots of it! So you don't always get to 'enjoy' concerts, contests, rehearsals, as much as perhaps members of the band who are not involved in the running side. I have often thought about going along to another band just to play, to get a different side of banding that I currently don't get with my own band.

Just wondered how you managed it? Do you attend both band's rehearsals on a weekly basis, and all concerts, or is it more relaxed with your '2nd' band, and you turn up when you can?

2. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Several players in my band are registered with another local band for contests (me included). We attend our practices and fit in contest practices around our own, where possible. If they clash our band takes precedence.

3. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

So your band is a non-registered band? And that band takes precedence over the band you are registered with for contests? Okay, but I was thinking the other way round. My band is the one I am registered with and that would have to take precedence over any other band. The band you are registered with - is that just to help out for contests? Do you attend rehearsals there every week or just when a contest is approaching? And do you play at the '2nd' band's concerts?

4. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

My band is a non contesting band, which is why I joined it. The 2nd band like to contest but some of their players don't, so we help them out for contests. Both bands help each other with players for the usual jobs/concerts etc, (if they don't clash) throughout the year. If we don't have a practice one night, a couple of us will attend the 2nd bands rehearsal instead.

5. I play with 2 non-contesting bands. As they don't enter contests, they only have 1 rehearsal a week each; and there is no pressure to play everything perfectly, although obviously you have to play most of it well to keep your position. I attend every rehearsal that I can, with both of them.

Sometimes there will be a clash of fixtures, so it's useful to have a clearly defined 'main band' - which in your case would be your contesting band I guess. In my case, the weaker band is my main one, because the band would suffer without me. The stronger band has 6 front row cornets, and can do without me if they have to.

I also play with a small ensemble, and an orchestra. But they only practice leading up to specific concerts; and the chance of a clash with those is quite remote.

6. flower girl

flower girl Member

I'm the only player in my second band thats actually registered with another band, none of the players are actually interested in joining a contesting band.

7. Liz Courts

Liz Courts Active Member

It's good playing for two bands - just make sure that the 2nd band knows how commited you'll be when you join. Your main band should be your priority, and your 2nd band should be the one you play for when you can (like a full time dep!)...but if your 2nd band has an important concert or something that clashes with your main band's not so important rehearsal, send your appologies to your 1st band and go to the concert!

It's all about sorting out your priorities and making sure that both bands understand and accept them - after all, the more you play the better you'll become, so they'll both benefit anyway!

8. backrowboy

backrowboy Member

I am currently playing with 3 bands.This is mainly for my 10 year old sons benefit though because my main band has a youth band which although being mainly youngsters has a few adults helping out myself included.Besides the youth band my son has also started playing with my old non contesting band just down the road.Its not too bad because my old band rehearse on tuesday nights and the youth band rehearse on wednesdays before the main band rehearsal.I enjoy playing with all 3 it helps keep the lip in, and my son is gaining much experience.

9. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

I play for 2 bands. I joined my 2nd band as a favour to the conductor as he was desperate for a baritone player. I made it clear at the time I joined that the contesting band I played with was my main priority and their rehersals and jobs would always take precedence. The band was quite happy to accept me on those terms. I turn up when I can and they're grateful for it. However my 2nd band has just decided to try a contest. As they are 4th section I pointed out immediately that I was registered for a 2nd section band and therefore could not play for them at this contest even as a borrowed player. The band understood and I believe they are planning to borrow a player in my place for this contest.

10. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

At one stage I was rehearsing and playing for 4 bands and an orchestra. Although the orchestra rehearsals were sporadic, playing in the other bands was alot of effort, especially as I played soprano in one, flugal in another and trumpet in the other 2. Unbelievably, in a year, there wasnt a single clash of events, often there were 2 in one day, afternoon then evening, but never a direct clash.

The best thing about playing in more than one group was the different repetoirs of each band. there are priorities though, and as a brass bander, my priority was the brass band, especially when it came to contests. Rehearsal wise, there were no clashes either, Monday thru Thurdsay nights, and a Saturday morning, couldnt have done it otherwise!

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    part
    lots
    side
    basis
    band
  12. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

I play for 2 bands, one contesting and one not. There are several players in the band who play for both, or play in one and conduct the other, with some having one as the priority when there is a clash and some the other, depending which they joined first. Actually very few clashes though. Means 4 rehearsals a week including 2 on a Sunday, and a very busy christmas schedule, but beats sitting at home thinking about work.

13. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Two for me too - 4 rehearsals each week and as for clashes - which ever band puts the job up first would get first dibs. Killamarsh is my main band and I'm registered for contesting with BBSBB.

Also play for Sheffield Symphony Orchestra and they rehearse on a Wednesday which clashes with rehearsals at Killamarsh - only attend a few rehearsals before each performance with them though and the Chairman at Killamarsh is usually OK with me missing the rehearsal;) .

If I miss any rehearsal it usually because I'm playing elsewhere - and people wonder why I kick off at players not turning up to rehearsals for all the other reasons - grrh:mad: .