Playing & Conducting in the same contest

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Nigel Hall, Feb 22, 2005.

1. Nigel Hall

Nigel Hall Supporting Member

I don't know if this happens often.... but at the Midlands area I'm am playing 2nd Euphonium for Avonbank (Evesham) Band conducted by Alan MacRae in the 3rd section, and Alan is playing 2nd Euphonium for Malvern Hills District Band in the same section conducted by me. Conflict of interest??? Deliberate dodgy playing? I hope not!!

2. NeilW

NeilW Member

Please say "hello" to Alan from me! I've met him at City of Oxford a couple of times...

About the best you can hope for is a tie in 1st place :)

[edit] I actually played in 2 sections on the same day many years ago - both at the finals - youth section and (I think it was) 2nd section. Fortunately both in London - and we were at the mercy of the draw, which fortunately was OK and we had time to get between venues.

Neil.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2005
  3. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

Was speaking to John Boax at the weekend, hes playing for Dalmellington on Flugal, and conducting Dunaskin Doon, both in the 1st Section at the Scottish Championships!

4. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Happens regularly.

Two main problems.

1. What happens if you're in different sections and are required on two different stages at the same time?

2. If your two bands are in the same section, with whom do you sit when the results are announced?

:biggrin:

5. Nigel Hall

1) Hopefully this won't happen

2) Band I conduct (I suppose!!!!)

Edit: references relating to the draw removed. (dyl)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2005
  6. T-Horn

T-Horn Member

Easy solution, you sit on your own. You look like a billy no mates but then again it won't look like you favour either band.

7. cornetcheese

cornetcheese Member

Hmm, I'm conducting two bands and playing with one (although it's as an extra pair of hands in Rienzi!) and I think it should be ok for juggling. My only concern is that the two I am conducting (3rd & 2nd section) are in sections running next to each other so organising warm up/rehearsals on the day will depend on draws and the like... Could be a bit hectic!

Hopefully all will run smoothly and I won't get the test pieces muddled up!

8. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

At Butlins Graham O'Connor conducted bands in the 1st and Champion section. Once the draw was taken however his 1st section band (Hatfield) asked to play No 1, presumably leaving Graham free to conduct his other band, Ransomes, at any number drawn. A band asking for a number one draw would usually get it and get no complaints from the other band.

9. cornet.kid

cornet.kid Member

are we missing something?

I think the relevance of this is not that theyre only playing and conducting in the same section, but that they are each playing 2nd euph whilst the other conducts!!!
    This HAS to be unusual surely???
    Good luck to both of you (players and bands)
    and hi nigel and alan. you know my little sister i think..... :p

10. Nigel Hall

That was my original point - but it is interesting to see that others are "in competiton" with themselves!!

I wouldn't admit to that in public!!!!!!

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    area
    Evesham) Band
    Conflict
    interest
    Midlands
  12. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

A while back, I think the Brass Band of Columbus had their back row cornet, Eb bass and Euphonium both conducting other champsionship section bands (can remember if they were the same year or not though).

I think NABBA have made exceptions to the 'random' part of the random draw so that nobody has to conduct two bands in a row, or play and conduct to bands in a row.

13. JR

JR Member

The NABBA must be fair-minded to the point of naivety! - couldn't imagine this draw flexibilty being allowed by a "Regional Commitee" in Britain
    Band Contesting is fundamentally different to the much less cut- throat "Music Festival - let's all admire each other!" approach.
    There has to be a conflict of interest...
    In the run up to a contest as important as the area e.g the last week - how could these players possibly give any worthwhile commitment to any of the bands involved whether as a player or conductor?

john r

14. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Good Point. The run up to the NABBC has not been like I forsee with the Areas (Still haven't done the areas yet, but WGC currently has 5 rehearsals scheduled the week before areas and we are told to keep the other two days open).

Part of the reason is that for many years BBC and COBB (or OCB as they were formely know) had much success with relatively little effort - They would have their one weekly rehearsal and then another one in the city of the contest the Friday night before, making it easy to attend both rehearsals for each band relatively easily.

As the NABBC have become much more competitive now, I forsee the Columbus Bands doing more than one rehearsal two-weeks before contest and more than two the week of.

According to their website (http://www.centralohiobrass.org) it looks like this year they have five rehearsals (total) and a concert during the two-weeks before NABBA. (BBC is in the midst of a conductor change and will not be attending)

To go back to JR's point...how do otherbands pull this off. I know one of WGCs horns (Simon_horn are you out there?) conducts The Enfield/Potter Town Band and he has often had an afternoon then evening rehearsal on Sundays, but I don't know how he'll cope with the week before areas when I'm sure both band will be going to multiple rehearsals)

Last edited: Feb 25, 2005
  15. fitzy

fitzy Active Member

I've seen a conductor play eupho and conduct a band at the same time! Needless to say, they didn't win the contest.............................................

16. euphybeast

euphybeast Member

I think playing and conducting gives you twice the chance of winning the same contest - why don't you all sit together?

17. satchmo shaz

satchmo shaz Active Member

I play and conduct but always give priority to Long Eaton , the band I conduct. Luckily this year the contests are on different weekends! phew!!

18. laurz_oconnor

laurz_oconnor Member

yeah and that seemed to be no problem as no other bands had complaints about not drawing number 1. although maybe they should have as both bands won! :tup although might be different if wanting to play and conduct!

19. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

Our main percussionist conducts a band, its never really caused any problems, his band don't enter the regional contests so he always plays for us.
    At the last contest in Truro a couple of weeks ago our band and his band were in the same section, so he said he couldnt play for us because he couldnt compete against his own band, which was fair enough! Everyone agreed with him, and as it happened his band were drew directly before us, so it would have been possible anyway! luckly we have a young percussionist who is preparred to help us out when ever we need him, so they share the contesting between them.

20. Simon_Horn

Simon_Horn Member

erm...only just found this thread.....I can say with hindsight that playing with WGC and conducting both Whitewebbs and EMM & Potters Bar for 3 weeks before the areas was complete burn out and not recommeded!!