Playing along with Morris band and dancers

Discussion in 'Bandroom News - User Submitted' started by AlbertR, Mar 1, 2018.

1. AlbertR

AlbertR New Member

With a brass instrument I have been asked if I could play with a Morris team. It is bucking all tradition and might be like musically mixing oil and water, chalk and cheese etc but I fancy giving it a go. It's a bit of a challenge and it is amazing how diametrically opposite this sort of music playing is to brass bands.

The vast majority of their music is in D, and G to a lesser extent. So my Bb instrument would need to play in the key of E for their key D, and I would have to play in A for their G.

That isn't really a problem and with fancy software I can transpose any pieces or just learn to transpose on the hoof. Or even practice my playing by ear, but all those sharps don't sit well with me. They don't read off music incidentally, although some may use 'the dots' to learn a piece.

My questions are:
    1. has anyone experience of this
    2. would I be best to find a 'C' instrument (so I just play in D and G without transposing)

Ideally I think I would like a 'C' tenor horn. This would be mainly for bass notes, as when you have whistles and accordions etc it seems a tenor horn is actually bassie and would not be too obtrusive.

I appreciate any thoughts (even if it is a quote about everyone should try everything in life at least once except etc.)

2. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

One of our tuba players, Phil Ash, does this regularly with a Morris team back in his home town of Sheffield. I'll message you his email address.

3. AlbertR

AlbertR New Member

Many thanks Dave. I've just written an email

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice