Playing a gliss on a cornet

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by andyh, May 16, 2008.

1. andyh

andyh Supporting Member

I've often wondered how a cornet could be required to play a gliss, like a trombone. I've got a piece on my stand at the moment that asks for a gliss from E to middle-C. I can do it after a fashion, but it sounds like a garbled triplet and I think it should be better.

Any tips on how to do this smoothly?

2. joshy

joshy Member

The way I would play it is by half-valving. Which is exactly what it sounds like, push the valves half way down (ish, its a bit different instrument to instrument) and slur the note down. It works both going up and down (I'm not sure which E you are going to the middle C from).

It takes a bit of practice to do well but can sound great when done properly.

Hope that helps

3. andyp

andyp Active Member

Half valve works for me, also the less valves you "half" the more sound comes out, best if you can just halving (or even "thirding", not so far down) 2nd or 1st (or both).

One you have to experiment with to see what works best for you.

(Wait till Xmas then volunteer to do the horse noise at the end of Sleigh Ride :biggrin:)
  4. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Or get out Wilby's "Jazz" ;)
  5. JesTperfect!

JesTperfect! Member

I also half valve it....badly if I'm honest!
    I avoid doing it wherever possible :)
    I am a true principle cornet - when in doubt, pass it down the line!!
  6. andyh

andyh Supporting Member

Thanks, I'll try that out. The piece has several glisses, ranging from low-E to middle-C, to low-E to top-E and various combinations in between. The way it's written it looks like I have to sound the first and last note properly, and then gliss up in between.