players

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by rickcowens, Jun 1, 2003.

1. rickcowens

rickcowens Member

hi is there a shortage in bass players all ov a sudden?? on the vacansie pagers theres always bands looking for bass players! if there is any bass players out there looking for a band in yorkshire contact me please!
    thanxs Rick

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Rick
    bass players
    bands
    thanxs Rick
    vacansie pagers theres
  3. nickcornock

nickcornock Member

Yeah I think so we have the same problem......quite often had to rehearse without basses recently and its no fun.
    Is it just Basses though? I dont know if its just down in the south here but a high percentage of bands are struggling with players on all sections. The worry is that not many people are taking up music as a hobby because modern living prevents them finding the time especially if you commute into the City to work.
    I really enjoy Brass Band and do make the effort but its difficult for some people with busy lifestyles to make the weekend contests etc and more and more bands seem to pull out of these contests to lack of committment.

4. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Shortage of Bass players?! We had 6 at a rehearsal recently. The rest of us are still in Rehab.

5. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I spent a couple of months in the 70s soldiering at Birmingham Citadel Corps and was invited to play in the band. At that stage there were a number of students in the area, and the bandmaster was anxious to give everyone the opportunity of playing. For much of the time I was 5th EEb, with 2 BBbs as well, until the (female) student returned whose bass I had been playing, when I moved onto horn for a couple of weeks. We also had 9 trombones at that time!

During most of my time at Hadleigh we have had 5 basses, although we have been one down since Jonathan, our solo EEb player, had a stroke last year. He's playing trombone at present as he still can't handle a bass.

Generally we have had no problems covering EEb, but people are reluctant to take on BBb, finding pitching difficult so far down, apart from the physical problems involved in carting it around - we have two former BBb players who have been forbidden to play it any more by doctors' orders.

6. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

I'm playing BBFlat in our training band. Only pitching technique I have is to play the lowest possible note I think it could be then lip it down.

7. Hilary Mateer

Hilary Mateer Member

I started on BBb Bass and just couldn't hear the pitch at all to start with.
    I used to sit for hours next to my Piano playing low notes and trying to hit the same note on my Bass.
    I don't have any trouble at all now though

8. jfenwick

jfenwick Member

I think that theres a shortage in bass players and percussionists.

Have you seen Ever Ready's list of bass players. theres more of them than in our band (only kidding)

9. rickcowens

rickcowens Member

we now have a band for whit friday! but no bass drum! any one want ago?