Players Pay Scale

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Anonymous_user, Oct 1, 2004.

1. Anonymous_user

Anonymous_user New Member

Word on the street in West Yorkshire is that a certain band has engaged a top ranked player, who joins another top ranked player in the same band earning lots more money than the rest of his/her band.

Is this fair?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Pay Scale Word
    West Yorkshire
    certain band
    Word
    street
  3. backrowbloke

backrowbloke Member

Is no different from general work / business - the best people damand top dollar. Why should they not demand a higher salary / fee than others in the band? If they are highly ranked then, as in businesss, I would assume that they have worked hard to get to where they are.

Some people earn more than others - thats life!

I'm probably gooing to get shot down in flames here though by the 'should'nt get paid to play' brigade I guess

4. brass journo

brass journo Member

should be remembered that whilst brass bands may be an 'amateur status' there are many players in bands who earn through their profession of playing.

It's their job / occupation in the same way that some people's jobs are in offices etc.

Everyone has to earn an income and pay the mortgage and pay their tax bill to boot!

5. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Good post - certainly the makings of an interesting thread here.

I'd say it is fair actually. One has to look at the entire package that arrives with a player in much the same way as it does in say, football. Is one football payer so much better at practicing his art than another football player... hmm.. I doubt it. But if you look at what each player brings as part of their total package to the club/band - then you have to take into account such things as prestige, experience, ticket sales potential, competition winning ability, as well as their technical ability to play!

It is the way of the world and I don't see what is not fair about it. Sure, if it is measured simply on technical ability then maybe - but we all know it isn't just this. Good luck I say to those who have it...:)

Last edited: Oct 1, 2004
  6. hellraiser

hellraiser Member

What do these people earn anyway?

Perhaps if you want to name individuals, better to pm me than share the details on a public forum ;-)

7. euphoria

euphoria Member

Well I think it's fair, as long as payment is not paid on a per-note-basis as the string section of a german symphony orchestra wanted last year:D

I saw that Nadia wrote in another thread recently, that noone could make a living playing for YBS. I think the question then was if player moves were triggered by bands outbidding eachother when it comes to star-players.

Erik

8. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Is this any of our business?

If the membership of the band in question is happy with the situation, then I don't think it's anything to do with anybody else.

If they're not happy, it's down to them to sort it out.

9. hellraiser

hellraiser Member

Why all the secrecy regarding payments for people in brass bands? Are people scared the taxman will hunt them down? ;-)

There's a lot of bs about what certain people get paid in bands, which is a pity, because maybe youngsters will be given the (incorrect) impression that you can make your living playing for a brass band... when perhaps that's not true at all!

I don't think people really mind that some banding superstars get paid to play anyway!

10. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

I think in life/football/banding the amount you get paid is generally set by what you provide to the person paying you and how difficult you would be to replace.

For example there are probably only a couple of people in the world who could replace a footballer lke David Beckham, therefore he is paid more in a week than i am in a year.

I feel very sad and useless now :-(

11. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

In sports, payment is often generated by the amount of draw or buzz associated with the person, and not necessarily with their actual value to the team. Beckham is valuable even if he doesn't play all that well, because there are people who will buy tickets just to see him play.

The same thing could be said for certain players in the banding world - there are some players who people will pay to hear (either live or on recordings). These players should be paid more because they are bringing in revenue to the organization (supposing that there is a profit motive of some kind at work).

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Pay Scale Word
    West Yorkshire
    certain band
    Word
    street
  13. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

14. Mark Bowater

Mark Bowater Member

IMHO (hyperthetically of course, drawing on the football analogy used in previous .) If certain "top" clubs / bands have not had the results their history, and their previous reputation deserve, and the pressure mounts as to why those results have not materialised even though the team / band as played consistently well. Then the tactics / interpretations of the manager / conductor would surley be brought to question ???.

15. barry toan

barry toan New Member

Ah, Steve, but Id like to hear David Beckham try to play the trom!!!!...... Just think that next time you see him, you're far better than him at that! ;-)

16. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Not at all. (Of course, that has happened before and will happen again - not with intention on the part of the player. Even the Names are still human.)

I'm suggesting that payment is based on economic reasons rather than on talent, again, assuming a profit motive. Sometimes, the economic reason may have to do with winning a contest, because the win might make your product more attractive to buyers. Sometimes, the economic reason might be because the Name is "hot" and people are willing to but something simply because the Name is somehow connected to it.

17. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

I am not in total favour of players been paid.However traveling costs would be fair enough,as we all know it comes out of your own pockets to get to band practise and also to engagements.

18. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

If you take the pay structure of an orchestra and look at the varying salaries that are paid. For instance the leader of the orchestra, (always the principal violinist, but not necessarily the best musician * ) will be paid a lot more than the principal of the second violins, or the principal trumpet. Does this mean that the 1st "fiddle" is a better player or do they bring the punters in?

I personally believe that if a band needs to pay a player for their services, then it is up to them. Not sure what the benefits are though, as each time a better renumeration package comes up does the player say, "Nice knowing you all, see you at the next contest, Kerching"

As we are still technically an amatuer movement, are these gifts or salaries. I find it hard to believe that someone who is earning between 5 and 6 figures a year will not come to the attention of the TAX man, especially as there is one who plays in a band in London who is originally from Lancashire. Any bands in Yorkshire would have an auditor to their books quicker than you could say "Scherezade"

* Having played the violin/viola for 13 years before finally relenting to the big bad tuba, I can say with certainty that the leader of principal of any ensemble is not always the superstar of the team :-D

Last edited: Oct 1, 2004
  19. barry toan

barry toan New Member

So LBB, is this a sign that as chairman you're going to bring in salaries at BBB!????? (or perhaps you do already, but noone told me! ;-)
    I'll have twice what Im on at the moment, please! Its only fair! :)

PS Do you get paid extra for emergency transposition on stage?.....

20. Anonymous_user

Anonymous_user New Member

Only a couple of players could replace Beckham!! Bad analogy methinks.

21. meeglioni

meeglioni New Member

oh dear

Perhaps - however, but as with football (to use the analogy again), if you have a dodgy ref/adjuicator, or result, then what difference does it make as to WHO is the manager or conductor? If Sheffield Wednesday went out and played today - and lost - and the ref was having a 'bad' day, is it the managers fault?

I also think that if a club is forced to sell/sack a player for reasons other than footballing ones (I think that Robbie 'God' Fowler at Liverpool would be a good example of this), then this, rather than being a black mark against the manager, should in fact, be seen as strong leadership, and the manager should be praised. I know for one, that as a Liverpool fan, it gutted me to see a great player leave, but I also realised that the manager made a decision for the best - for the good of the club.

And I think that we should also remember that if a club losses one of its good honest pro's for non-footballing reasons, then again, what can the manager do - freedom of contract/bosman etc.

Don M.

P.S. Robbie Fowler, apart from Gazza, is the greatest waste of English footballing talent.

22. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

Sex and travel, and of course I did LOL