Players' behaviour on stage

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Simon Preshom, Oct 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Simon Preshom

Simon Preshom Member

Right, I am prepared to be slaughtered here, but here goes:

Will get it out the way that I think he is a terrific sop, probably the best in the country right now and had really made the chair at Dyke his own.

However, what's with all the goofing around on stage? The constant smug look on his face, the messing around, the chatting to his colleague on rep, making eyes at people in the audience. I know I will get the inevitable, 'ah he is just enjoying himself' or 'too many players look serious on stage' type responses, but there is a difference between enjoying yourself on stage and acting like a clown and I think this young chap crosses the line.

There are 27 or so other people in that band who all understand the concept of a performance: being respectful on stage, realising a performance is not just about playing the music and demonstrating the type of 'class' that this great band is known for....so why can't he? I am only surprised that he has not been picked up on it before.

For those who will say 'bah, you're just jealous'....save your breath (or fingers!), it's not about that. Nor is it a slagging off Dyke (read the paragraph above), I just think its sad that most of the great players who have donned that famous jacket - Smith, McCann, Clough, Roberts, Marshall, Baker, Thornton, Childs et al all knew how to conduct themselves but this young player (who has all the potential to be remembered as a player in the same bracket as the mentioned) doesn't.

2. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Agreed. No need for it - his playing is quite enough to earn the respect he deserves. A little humility goes a long way.

3. Jasper

Jasper Member

Didn't put LR on Rep off though did it! having listened to 16 out of 20 bands yesterday at RAH, I thought he was the only only one to absolutely nail the Rep 'solo' in the cadenza section (and there were a few where the Rep wasnt trusted with it)

To be fair - there were a few Sop players yesterday who had a ball of a time on stage - thats just the way they are!!!! A breed unto themselves. I always remember the great Jimmy Bell of Stanshawe who was a real character during his performances on stage and great to watch and obviously listen to.

BTW - I thought the Dyke sop did go a bit far and your'e right he's a great player too - nailed his part on the day.

4. Kjata

Kjata Member

Right I see where you're coming from, but if you've ever met Paul, you'll know it's who he is. From what i've seen of the rest of Dykes interaction with Paul, they love it, and far from him putting them of, quite the opposite happens.
    If people aren't allowed to have a bit a fun and have a smile, regardless of where they are then the world would become a lot less interesting.
    I know that if I was in his position, I would probably be much the same, and have an absolute ball, and if someone tried to have a go at me for smiling and having a good time then I would walk straight out of a bandroom!
    And yes, far too many banders look too serious and need to lighten up and enjoy themselves, there shouldn't be a code of conduct for banders, common sense would suffice, regardless of the band...! :p

I don't think he does it for respect.... more for himself!

Last edited: Oct 10, 2010
  5. Simon Preshom

Simon Preshom Member

Its not the point whether he put Lee Rigg off or not.

No, not all sop players are like that.

And again, I am not calling into question whether he nailed his part, or is a great player or not.

6. Simon Preshom

Simon Preshom Member

I can't even be bothered to explain why your post is so irrelevant. Read my first post again and think again.

7. Simon Preshom

Simon Preshom Member

Oooo, has Kjata unwittingly stumbled on the issue here? :clap:

8. Kjata

Kjata Member

Hardly irrelevant, you called into question his conduct, and I explained it from my perspective...

9. Euph1175

Euph1175 New Member

Wouldn't you have a bit of a smug look if you got any seat at Black Dyke? ;)

10. Kjata

Kjata Member

No, but i'd sure as hell enjoy it like Paul does!

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Childs Paul
    Sandy Smith
    Paul.In
    Paul
    Nick
  12. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

No, I'd have the 'OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD HELP ME PLEEEEASEEEE' look on my face!!! ;)

13. Euph1175

Euph1175 New Member

As would anyone. And fair play to him, he's a fantastic player!

14. Shell

Shell Member

I thought Kjata's post was extremely relevant given that it shows the band doesn't have a problem with his behaviour

15. Simon Preshom

Simon Preshom Member

No, I would act with the class that the other players in the band do, especially in the way that previous incumbents of the seat have.

16. Shell

Shell Member

Hahahaha bless you! :lol:

17. Simon Preshom

Simon Preshom Member

How do you know they don't?

18. Kjata

Kjata Member

That about sums it up! God help us all if we have to sit there with scowls on our faces and have any sort of enjoyment...

19. Kjata

Kjata Member

Because i've sat in rehearsals with Dyke when they've been at the RNCM!!

20. Shell

Shell Member

It's the impression I got from Kjata's post. Besides, if they do have a problem, they'll pull him up on it.

21. Sandy Smith

Sandy Smith Member

I have had the pleasure for the past three years of playing in the same band with Paul.
    In what has turned out to be a masterstroke on the part of Prof. Childs Paul stepped into the shoes of the legendary Peter Roberts.
    What Nick saw in Paul wasn't just the playing potential but the personality to go with it.
    I have seldom seen a young player approach his playing week in week out with such obvious enjoyment - his nickname within the band is "chuckles" - and to say that his demenour somehow portrays smugness or lack of respect is so wide of the mark as to be almost not worth commenting on. There are plenty of experienced heads keeping an eye on him and he is always ready to accept advice.
    He is capable of acheiving anything he wants on the instrument and I have already heard him play things on concert and contest stages which, in my experience, I have heard only a very small handful of soprano players do.
    He certainly doesn't deserve to be hauled over the coals in a ridiculous way like this.

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Childs Paul
    Sandy Smith
    Paul.In
    Paul
    Nick
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.