Player turnover

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by hellraiser, Jul 12, 2005.

1. hellraiser

hellraiser Member

Some bands have low player turnover, some bands have very high player turnover. Just an observation- I'm sure there's pros and cons to both extremes.
  2. andyp

andyp Active Member

I can't think of a "pro" for a high player turnover!

A band is a team. Teams that are comfotably established perform better. High turnover surely unsettles the team? (we get all this team theory stuff at work - can't you tell :) )

For example, I've played with the same sop player behind me for most of the (ahem!) years I've been principal. Most of the time we know what each other's going to do before we do it. This wouldn't happen if we'd never played together before.
    A walking day a couple of years ago, we're playing a hymn (Bind Us Together, I think!). Our music goes chorus, verse, chorus. Then back to the beginning (so chorus again).So the congregation (who are expecting chorus, verse, chorus verse, etc) are now singing the verse where we're expecting (and playing!) the chorus. Within 2 bars both of us have realised what's happening and gone to the verse. And a couple more bars later so have most of the rest of the band, and virtually no-one apart from the band ever knew!
    Settled bands tend to do better at contests, too, maybe win consecutive titles, for example, whereas a band can win one contest as a one-off, it's harder to defend the title later.
    Mind you, it's not happened to us yet..................
  3. Sam Atherton

Sam Atherton Member

^ what he said!

It's alway nice to get new people in bands, with new ideas and such, but if people are coming and going all the time I would find it unsettling. Especially if people were appearing before contests and then vanishing after the results.
    Maybe this is because banding is my hobby? I'm pretty certain that a pro isn't going to be phased by a different group of people every day. Maybe it's less of an issue in better bands, where musical ability overcomes the need for the group to 'gel'?
  4. brassybabe

brassybabe Member

There has been a pretty high turn over of players at Besses over the last 18 months but we have worked hard to fill empty seats with good reliable players and also got a new MD, I think there are only about 8 of us still in the band that were there 18months ago.
    Rehearsals and concerts are definately much better now we have a secure line up with a great man in the middle.
    It makes going to rehearsal seem worthwhile when u have the same players there every week. u can grow as a team.
  5. hellraiser

hellraiser Member

Getting rid of people who aren't up to it is one, maybe.

But I agree on the whole that stable bands with lower player turnover are more fun in the long run.
  6. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

this is a whole discussion in itself :wink: I am of the opinion that it is better to audition and give people a seat based on merit rather than let someone join just to fill the seat and then sack them when someone else comes along :tup
  7. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

If people arn't turning up, there is usualy some underlying cause which should be adressed.

Anyway, most bands have a 'core' of players (number varies of course) and the seats around them are the ones that frequently change. This is normal, especially in lower section bands. It usually doesnt cause many problems, until its one (or more) of the corner seats (and/or principal seats) that are are constantly empty or changing.
  8. Splitone

Splitone Member

The turnover maybe for many reasons, people leaving for university, changing jobs, or as in this area many people just giving up. A championship band with great sponsors, yet a turnover of players that is frightening. Nearly a band and a half in four years! Of course it may not be the band, could be the man in the middle.........

Strange that sacking, oops parting company with him has now seen players starting to blow again. Is there a mesage there?