Player Turnover

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by stevetrom, Dec 2, 2004.

New players in the last 12 months

1. 0

2. 1

0 vote(s)
  3. 2

4. 3

5. 4/5

6. 6/7

7. 8/9

8. 10 +

0 vote(s)
  1. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

How many changes does your band have in the last 12 months?

We are just about sorted for next years area and it looks like we will have 4/5 different players from last time.
  2. The Cornet King

The Cornet King Active Member

Since this years areas i think if i'm right, we have about 8 or 9 new players that weren't here at the time of the quite a lot really.

Things didnt look too good at all this time last year, but things are nicely back on track, especially after the Malton contest victory.

Amazing how you struggle for players and then a few come along at once.
  3. stevetrom

But is'nt it annoying when new players turn up on the wrong instrumenst.

Currently we have 4 horns, 3 baritones but only 2 trombones and 3 basses.

At our last contest we had to 'rest' a horna dn a baritone but borrow a trombone and a bass !
  4. ComputerBloke

ComputerBloke Member

:) Yep, we currently have cornets coming out of our ears, but we still haven't recruited a lead Euphonium player, although there is hope in that area.

Players seem to come in fits and starts like buses.. don't know why tho...
  5. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

I voted 8/9, but it's really more like 16!

The National Capital band has finally recovered from the end of the 2002 season, when we had 14 leave the band.

This year, we had 5 leave, but have gained (we are an SA band, so no limits on number of players):

1 conductor
    1 front row cornet
    3 back row cornets
    1 flugel (last year's flugel moved to solo horn)
    2 horns
    1 second euph
    2 baritones
    1 principal trombone (last year's principal moved to 2nd chair)
    1 second trombone
    2 Eb tubas
    1 percussionist

Five of these are callups from the youth band, and several others are former players who have either moved back into the area or have returned to the band after various periods of time away (as long as six years in one case).
  6. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

We have gained quite a few players (6 if my memory serves me right), with only a couple of losses, mostly player retirement, and now have most seats filled. The sudden influx of players neatly coincided with our victory in the Scottish 4th section this year! :)
  7. lewis

lewis Member

I think I've registered 21 new players this year and that was only for two contests!
  8. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

We've had a bad and then good year! After the Area we lost our Principal and 2nd man down, who both moved away from Leicester, soon after one of our 2nd cornets and our bass trombone both retired due to ill-health, then our solo horn goes to RNCM, and ends up as Solo Horn at Leyland :rolleyes: (go Dan!!) but we've just had an influx of players, all of them good quality players, and good bandspeople.

We recently did Leicester Contest and a quick tot-up showed that we had 8 new players plus a few more playing different parts so we were well chuffed with our result.

It's funny, someone mentioned about players turning up on the wrong instrument - we've been really lucky that all of our new signings happen to play the instruments that we were short of - we've had a bit of a re-shuffle around the cornet section but otherwise our new signings have fitted straight in - amazing really.
  9. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

We have alot of players that leave every year, just through moving up road to Glasgow or the likes for uni. This summer we lost 6 players (top euph, BBb bass, 2nd trom, rep, 2nd cornet, flugel) and next summer's loss will be 9 (top cornet, bumper-up, sop, top euph, 3 horns, 2nd bari and a percussion player are all going away to uni), so average age of band will drop from 17 back down to 14/15 again!! :shock: Tho we're still a 3rd section band!

But we still have the conveyor belt of 10/11 year olds coming thru, its worked every year since the band started, just takes a few months to get our feet again!! The band has totally changed since 1999 apart from the 6 of us 'older' 1's because of school-leavers!

We have been without a resident conductor since April, tho we've had a guest conductor for the summer contests. Our last 1 was also the school instrument instructor and moved to Inverness to another teaching post, so all the kids havent had lessons in school since end of March!! :shock: The new teacher, which starts in January, is a BASSOON player!! :eek: (a great choice from the education board, where the majority is F****** brass players in the area!!):mad:

But we're still looking for a resident conductor (and any players!) if anybody wants to move to sunny Campbeltown and take us onboard! ;)
  10. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

How far away is Arran? ;)
  11. ScrapingtheBottom

ScrapingtheBottom Active Member

In the last 12 months we've had:

3 trombones
    3 percussionists
    3 Bass players
    2 Tenor horns
    1 Euphonium
    6 cornets

It isn't really turnover as such as we didn't really have a full band before that.
  12. stevetrom

Since the Area :-

2nd Trombone (only signed for the Area contest)
    Soprano Cornet (retired)
    Solo Horn (Banding is boring!, after 30 years playing? oh well)
    Solo Baritone
    Eb Bass (can only do contests by juggling the rest of their life, etc)

Soprano Cornet - the one that left is un-retiring after a short break
    Solo Bariton - moved to the area
    Solo Horn - moved to the area
    Solo Baritone - the one that left has come back

Hopefully Signing for the Area:
    Solo Trombone
    Eb Bass
  13. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

We have signed quite a number of new players since the area:

5 Cornets
    Trombone (who has only really done the contests because unfortunately he can't commit full time)
    3 Basses (2 just for a contest)
    2 Horns

Some were to replace players lost to University (Principal Cornet,Trombone) and the rest to fill vacancies. It's been a great year for us since the area contesting wise :biggrin:
  14. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Over the last year we have lost 8 players, 5 due to a change in conductor, 1 to a contesting band and 2 youngsters to another band (their school friends are at this band); we've gained 6 new players all due to the same change of conductor (you can't please all the people, all the time etc..)

Until recently our band had not seen a great deal of player change and just looking at some archive photos on our website at there are still 13 players in the band who are on the 1986 photo and 21 on the mid 90's. I'm on both but not on the 1940's picture.
  15. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... thanks for mentioning that! I keep on forgetting how conductors (like football managers) sometimes bring in their loyal favourites and take them away when they leave! Must be frustrating for any band when it happens! :-?
  16. six pints

six pints Active Member

dont think we've had any in last year, at least not since area. ive done a bit of a move through the cornets, but other then that no change. I might be wrong tho.
  17. cornetgirl

cornetgirl Active Member

I thought it was about 7 - although I could be wrong.

Still it's good that we're rebuilding - anyone who can hit or blow anything is guaranteed a friendly welcome. I can particularly recommend a visit to see the 3rd cornets in action - very distracting when you're trying to play and you can see dancing worthy of Chicago out of the corner of your eye! :p

Rach x