player qualities

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by madandcrazytromboneguy, Mar 17, 2006.

which quality does a player need the most?

1. natural ability

2. regular attender

3. music knowledge

4. leadership skills

5. positive attitude

6. previous experience

0 vote(s)
  7. good personality

0 vote(s)
  8. sense of humour

0 vote(s)
  9. Team Player

10. Confidence

11. Listening skills

12. Ability to learn

1. which do you think is the most important quality for a player to have?
  2. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

I think you have missed out the most important clive, TEAM PLAYER
  3. Trumpet Dave

Trumpet Dave Member

I think the most important quality for a player is confidence. I think escpecially in youth bands you need the confidence to play what you this the music should be played like. e.g. If there is, say a difficult rhythm, play it and see what the conducter says. Don't back away from it and make them sing or tap the rhythm or youll never learn!
  4. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

positive attitude.... or a beard??
  5. message for mods

if any other suggestions are made for the options then feel free to add them to the available options

6. Di

Di Active Member

There you go. Caught me in a good mood. ;)
  7. tinytimp

tinytimp Member

I chose 'positive attitude.' A player may not necessarily be that able musically, but if they're willing to accept this, stick at it and practise, IMO this makes a better impression than a possibly better player who doesn't put the work in.
  8. barrytone

barrytone Member

For me it's the big "C" - Commitment. Commitment to attending rehearsals, home practice, fellow bandsmen, enjoying making music, doing your best etc.... This runs from the bottom to the top of the movement, from junior bands to the number one band in the world.
  9. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Its a shame we can't vote for multiple options! Team player, commitment, positive attitude and ability to listen are way more important than musical ability or confidence imo. I'd rather have a band full of average players who really pull together and want the best for the whole band than a bunch of prima donnas or people bitching.
  10. the reason i didnt put it on to vote more than 1 option is that technically, you could just vote for all of them, coz they are all good points really
  11. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Interesting thread, Clive.

I voted for "positive attitude", and note that it's leading by a large margin right now. It encompasses several of the other options, for example, a person with a positive attitude will usually also be a team player, etc.

Nothing worse than negative, whining members to sap the spirit of a band.
  12. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

I haven't voted yet Clive because I'd like the question to be more specific. When you say the most improtant quality for a player to have, does this mean a player in a brass band or any group/musical activity?

As you have said, there are lots of the above that are important, but depending on what the 'player' is doing and where they are doing it, this can alter the voting (for me anyway). For example, for a player to play in a band, yes, it certainly helps if they have a 'team spirit', however, I'm sure there are some fantastic players in some of the top bands that may not have as much 'team spirit', but their 'musical abilility' is such that a lot of bands would gladly 'snap them up' and this would overide the importance of any team spirit! Now if you go to the other end of the tables, I would think it would be more important for a player to have a 'team spirit' or a 'positive attitude' than say 'musical abiility'.

I think this is a very difficult one to answer 'just like that', especially as you can see who has voted what! :biggrin: I think it will be interesting to read (or see) what other people are thinking.
  13. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- Just when I think about it, there is another important attribute that can be added ... the ability to learn.
  15. GingerMaestro

GingerMaestro Active Member

I wanted to choose 3 of the options as I you require them more so together than individual requirements

Ability to learn (how ever long you have been playing, whoever you have played for) you can always learn new thing

Team Player (Quite simple when you join a band you become part of a team)

Possitive Atittude (If you always look at things in your music making from a negative point of view then you also lose the above 2 options, because you won't feel like putting in the work to learn the new piece or skill which will then mean you are not giving your best to the team)

I don't know what you all think but that is how I see thing from within a good hard working successful band
  16. Steve

Steve Active Member

The ability to play blind drunk and to hold a wee on a bus for over an hour are essential in the brass players armoury.

I would say ability to learn as long as the poll isn't specifically refering to learning to play better. If an individual is willing to learn in every aspect of group participation then you cant ask for any more. As long as they are committed ;)