Player Announcements

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by eanto, Oct 9, 2008.

1. eanto

eanto Member

Browsing through 4barsrest 'runners & riders' the other day for this year's National Champs and I noticed Leylands new solo horn penciled in (Just an example). How refreshing, I thought. No big annoucements, no heraldy! Just a band getting on with their own business.

Then the next day I spotted the announcement.....

Ok, I know I'm probably wrong on this :redface:, but why aren't player issues/appointments dealt with internally? and perhaps with a modicum of confidentiality? (Especially player departures!). Why the apparent need to always voice it from the rafters?
  2. BoozyBTrom

BoozyBTrom Member

Dont read them then. then you wont get so upset.

I dont go anywhere near 4BR now and my blood pressure has stablised.
  3. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

We get enough doom and gloom in the news at the moment, its nice to see some positive stuff. If a band has a bit of good news like a key new player to celebrate and they want to grab the chance for a bit of free publicity, good for them.
  4. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

No Publicity is bad publicity - Keep you're band name in the media spotlight. I don't mind it on the whole, the occasional lower section band will go over board on the slighest gala event, but i dont' mind the other stuff. .
  5. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

They did? Kate wasn't voted in through some big brother-esque premium rate rigged phone vote. She was just the best of the ones that came to audition for it, in the bandroom, no paying public.
    They announced it because what goes on in 'top' bands is of interest to the banding community.
    As the departing player in question, just wonder why they should be particuarly tight-lipped (beurgh) about that? It's nice to get some acknowledgement. My previous band who I'd played four years with through thick and thin (although mostly thick ;)) and I didn't get as much as a thankyou when I left.
    Leyland are a great bunch and thankfully spout a lot less "news" on 4br and elsewhere than other bands.
  6. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

I can see what you're getting at eanto. I get irritated looking at 4BR and see the same faces all the time with some trivial 'news' item about themselves.

I really don't need to know that Chris Wormald had chips instead of vegetables for his tea last week, or that's how it seems.
  7. LeDragon

LeDragon Active Member

I personally like hearing who's moved where - maybe I'm sad, maybe I'm not - I don't care really!
  8. Captain Cymru

Captain Cymru Member

What gets on my nerves is the self-publicity that people put on the Web. Who Cares in the long run, if the organisation in question releases such information fine, but to release information yourself seems a touch egotistical.
  9. eanto

eanto Member

Disappointing behaviour from your previous band.

How I see it is that some bands' gain (eg Leyland) is usually some other bands' loss (YBS). Obviously transfers have to happen but, when a big announcement is made, it's almost like rubbing the losing bands nose it it! I prefer it when someone comes out of retirement and starts playing again (a 'big name' or it wouldn't be worth reporting!).

Personaly, I've always had a soft spot for Leyland and I've even got one of their CDs! (Philip McCann guesting). Anyway, good luck on yer travels Aidan.
  10. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

Yeah I can see how you come to that, but I doubt putting the other band down enters into the mind of the band making the announcement, its just not something that a band would set out to do in a public arena.
    For the record I did come out of retirement to play for Leyland in the first place, albeit only 6 months retirement and not a big name!! :D
    Cheers for the luck, just gotta get my lips back in before siddis now!
  11. Rob

Rob Member

Actually 'eanto', the player in question did come out of retirement in a way, having had a three month break from banding before joining Leyland...

But obviously with your encyclopaedic knowledge of what goes on in banding you would have known that - maybe you should check up on your facts before writing such garbage as your original message on here. Your profile states 'but they all got rid of me in the end' - what a surprise that is eh?

p.s. A name might be appreciated as well, if your status as an informed banding observer is to be upheld...
  12. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

But let's all remember that this is a friendly forum!

I don't think specifics are really that important, what eanto is getting at is that many bands and individuals seek extra publicity by making pointless 'newsworthy' announcements. After a while nobody's really that bothered.

Also, I think eanto's playing experience statement is an attempt at humour, so don't take it too seriously!
  13. Ali

Ali Member

Lets be fair about this eh? When a band signs a new player, its always nice to welcome them in to the fold so to speak. When a band signs a top class player or two, its only natural to shout it from the roof tops. When a player leaves, its only right that a player should be thanked for their part (however large or small) in helping an band get to where ever they want to be. I'm sure almost everyone in the country would do the same. Its all part of the movement.

Someone stated that no publicity is bad publicity and that statement rings true in which ever walk of life. Site's such as this one and 4 BR give bands the opportunity to do so. You don't have to read them but you do out of curiosity. You may or may not like it but in general, the brass banding fraternity are interested in whats going on at the top level of banding. For us, the signings of both our new solo horn and rep players were great news for the band, and as such we felt that it was worth announcing! I for one am proud that these quality players have decided to join our "team" and am pleased that they have gained the recognition that they deserve.
  14. eanto

eanto Member

Spot on Duncan, I thought it was slightly funny at the time :)

I did admit in my opening post that I was wrong! Securing top class players esp. Principals, is big news; I just always feel sorry for the loosing band - how must they feel?

With the imminent departure of Aidan from Leyland and Kate, at Brum, but not playing for YBS, even I could guess what was going to happen!!!