Played off Number 1 Draw

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by ian perks, Dec 28, 2008.

1. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

How many times have you played off number 1 draw since you have been playing.

2. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

My band drew number one twice in a row once.

3. scotchgirl

scotchgirl Active Member

Loads of times....I drew number one 3 times when I was contest sec, and hubby has drawn it twice in the time he was contest sec.....I've also drawn last loads of times....

Neither of us is 'allowed' to do the draw nowadays lol!

4. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

Can't think of any at the moment - I'm sure it's happened at some point.

5. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

Never drawn 1 and never won a contest

6. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

Have won off a number one draw and infinitely prefer number one to a tail end charlie draw playing at stupid o'clock!

7. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Only once that I recall in nearly 50 years of banding, and we came 2nd ("Robbed" of course!)

It was at Newcastle City Hall in the mid 1960's and Scots CWS pipped us (Imps) for 1st Prize.
    The test piece was "Life Divine"
    I would have played off no. one twice if I'd not retired from Kippax before the last Area contest (2008)

What a memory - just don't ask me what happened the day before yesterday !!!

- Wilkie

8. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

We drew #1 at Harrogate this year in First Section .

We didn't come first either !!!

But did get to pub as soon as it opened and drank it out of Theakstons Old Peculier . Consumption of which had the happy result of anaesthesising the pain of subsequent result !!:)

9. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

Drawn 1st once, and would rather not again if the result was anything to go by!

10. David Sheedy

David Sheedy Member

Unfortunately played off a number one draw about 11 times.... one win, one third...... and the rest... pass!

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Number 1
    number
    times
    draw
  12. 4thmandown

4thmandown Member

Shirley have made a habit of drawing No.1 in recent years. We've never won off that draw no, but have been in the frame many times. Came 3rd off a No1 at the Finals in 2002, after the most chaotic rush from the hotel. It did give us the rest of the day to enjoy in sunny Torquay.

13. Red Kite

Red Kite Member

Drew No1 in the fourth section finals in 1974..... and won it !

1974 West Wycombe Brass , D Bird , Youth Salutes a Master - E Ball

14. jockinafrock

jockinafrock Active Member

"Say again, please...? Was that you played off one once or twice, or once you played off one twice..? " :lol:

15. marksmith

marksmith Active Member

I have not actually drawn to play no.1 many times.
    However, I once played under a respected Musical Director, who regularly requested that our band volunteered to play off no.1, to enable him to go off to another band for rehearsals!!
    Needless to say, he didn't last that long:mad:

16. tpcornet12

tpcornet12 Member

Just once at the 2nd section National Finals in Dundee 2003 and came 2nd! Beaten by Hatfield I think.

17. Stephen Bourne

Stephen Bourne New Member

:pI watched West Wycombe play Hammersmith town hall before heading off to the championship section at the RAH. I remember two players had been roped into being witnesses at a wedding and nearly missed the performance. They made it and West W. won from number 1. Paul Barret, a school freind played for them.

18. Getzonica

Getzonica Active Member

never (although I've only played in 2 contests)

19. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

Can't remember, as the ratio between number drawn and bar closing increases as the draw number lessens :guiness :guiness :guiness :guiness :guiness

20. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

The only time that sticks in my mind was playing first at harrogate in 2004...we were playing quite well and with a different draw who knows...think we came in the middle.

Can't really think of playing number one more than that, although i've played number 2 loads and normally won or got a prize.

This probably could link to a thread about what people think is the best draw to play off.

21. E flat fred

E flat fred Member

Drawn 1 once and won. The following year No 1 draw won again. I want to be drawn No 1 at that contest every year. It must be a LUCKY DRAW or perhaps the adjudicator has not woke up properly. Anyway No 1 draw I will have every time at that contest

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Number 1
    number
    times
    draw