Play with Grimethorpe via Ebay!

Discussion in 'Brass Band Aid - news & discussion' started by Bob Thompson, Dec 14, 2006.

1. Bob Thompson

Bob Thompson Member

Hi tmpers,
    Following on from the recent success of the ebay auction to conduct the band at one of their concerts, the current National Champions, Grimethorpe, have offered us a similar opportunity, by way of supporting Brass Band Aid, to play with the band at one of their concerts.

The auction is now underway and ends on Saturday 23 Dec @ 9.00pm.

So if you are stuck for a Christmas gift and want something quite unique or you wish to indulge someone, perhaps even yourself click here.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk:80/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200058435641&ssPageName=ADME:L:LCA:UK:11

Cheers
    Bob
    Brass Band Aid

2. rutty

rutty Active Member

Well, I seem to have accidentally bumped it up to £202 mark. I'm sure it'll go higher though.

*crosses fingers*

3. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

Are Ladies allowed to take part? ;)
    This could be a real opportunity for someone to become famous as the first female to play with Grimey.

4. dyl

dyl Active Member

I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that particular honour has already been taken............... ;)

5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- her name was Gracie Cole, who played with them during the '40s ;)

6. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Not forgetting Helen Fox who has filled in on flugel, include a memorable contribution to the Malcolm Arnold birthday celebration a couple of years back ;)

7. Bob Thompson

Bob Thompson Member

8. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

According to Roger's statement, a little more is offered than what is auctioned for ...

9. Pondasher

Pondasher Member

Both dyl and brassneck are correct about Gracie Cole being the first lady to have played with Grimethorpe.

During the early 1980's when I was guesting on Euphonium for a band in Sussex, I met Gracie who was then playing Principal Cornet and her husband Bill Geldard, who played Bass Trombone. Both originate from up here in the North-East and so we had lots to talk about. Gracie had started in Harworth Colliery and Bill in Blackhall Colliery Bands.

Two fabulous players and lovely people.

Keith Quinn

10. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Yes, the bidding is now at £230 ... auction ends on Saturday remember!

11. Bob Thompson

Bob Thompson Member

Its risen to £280, you need to bid again Rutty! :eek:)

12. rutty

rutty Active Member

Gah! Maybe just one more....

13. gawber

gawber Active Member

Wow! £330 now

14. andy;-)

andy;-) Member

I wonder if grimey will also donate the deps fee that they won't have to pay................

15. Obi one Tromboni

Obi one Tromboni New Member

I'd love to bid .... but last time i did that, i ended up arranging a whole holiday to play with Dyke! :rolleyes: Not a complaint, but it'd be quite expensive to do every year! (the cost of the holiday that is - i know what my money can/will be used for for BBA and there surely can't be any better use for it!!!) i can vividly remember the closing moments of that particular auction and the money shot up! lets hope this does the same - ITS WORTH EVERY PENNY!! :clap: :D :icon_biggrin:

16. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- now £340 ... remember, bidding ends on Saturday! :cool:

17. Bob Thompson

Bob Thompson Member

now at £360, another £40 and the two auctions will have raised a £1000, quite incredible and bl**dy brilliant!

18. gawber

gawber Active Member

It has ended on £480!!

Great result!

19. Bob Thompson

Bob Thompson Member

That is a brilliant result, and so exciting watcing it for the last 10 minutes! Great stuff.

Many many thanks to Grimethorpe, the winning bidder and of course those who were unsuccessful but helped generate the final totals.

The combined auctions have raised a whopping £1112.00. Serious money which will have a massive impact on the project.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New year to you all.
    Cheers
    Bob

20. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

If I am mistaken, I apologise in advance, but the winner seems no other than our roving USA reporter BBCBass. Long way to travel from Ohio for Pat (... but he's no stranger to globetrotting at times!). Well done, by the way!