Plastic mouthpieces!!

Discussion in 'theMouthPiece.com User Reviews' started by smila, Sep 25, 2006.

1. Super Ph

Super Ph Member

Well shove it in your pocket and keep it warm then!

2. Drummer_cornetgirl91

Drummer_cornetgirl91 Member

I have one... i think they're okay.. i swapped between my plastic mouthpiece and my dennis wick one when doing christmas jobs all day... when swapping between the two i found it help keep my lip in for longer.

3. JesTperfect!

JesTperfect! Member

I have to play on a plastic mouthpiece because I'm very badly allergic to nickel-my top lip develops a lovely cold-sore type-thing and then swells up. It's absolute agony to try to play on.
    However - (I will admit I haven't read every posting in this thread, so I may be wrong) I play on a combination of both which no-one else seems to have mentioned.
    When I say combination, I don't mean I swap between the two-I still play on my original, Dennis Wick cornet mouthpiece, the only one I've played on during my 10 years...BUT it has been plastic coated. They took my mouthpiece, took a mould, then stripped the rim off and replaced it with a plastic mould of the original.
    The mouthpiece is essentially metal, it's literally just the rim that's plastic. So now my lips are safe, but my playing (tone, etc) hasn't been affected in anyway at all.
    I will admit it was pretty pricey to have this done, but it beats having a fat lip, and people saying to me-'why have you jumped on the plastic mouthpiece bandwagon?'
    If anyone is allergic, I think this is the way to go!

4. lilcornetgirl

lilcornetgirl Member

I use a plastic mouthpiece. I bought one when I went to pontins about 2 years ago I only use it when I do park jobs or marching jobs I never use it on an inside job I dont see the point I will use it when im at college and I will also use it when I go to my youth band. I find them good when Im marching or doing a park job becasue they don't cold as easily.

I think there good some arn't tho so its really upto the indervidual.

5. KatyB

KatyB New Member

Our Baritone plays on a clear plastic mouthpiece which is gross! You can see all his spit flying about in it!
    But our cornet player used to get terrible sores from metal ones and she is loving the plastic one - it is flourescant pink - and you can't see into it!

6. Despot

Despot Member

I asked Kelly Mouthpieces, and they said they don't make them yet, but they intend to. Can't speak for other brands...

7. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

Our bass player has a pink one, perfect for christmas or cold times tho'.
    it will keep warm so that you aren't blowing on a cold mouthpiece.

8. Martin Cordy

Martin Cordy Member

I personally find my plastic mouthpiece to be brilliant for those cold outside gigs (carolling in december especially!) as there is no lip freeze effect!

Having said that, for more technical stuff I prefer traditional metal - horses for courses tho!

9. Martin Cordy

Martin Cordy Member

They have been promising someone in my band for over 18 months now and each time we chase they have come back with "in the next couple of months"..... :confused:

10. brownrob

brownrob Member

In my experience with them, they are very comfortable and slightly improve my stamina, but I have to work harder to get the save volume from the 7C Kelly than I do with my 7C Vincent Bach, maybe due to the decreased mass not dampening the vibration of the mouthpiece?

11. Bungle

Bungle Member

Was I imagining things or was Michael Dodd playing on a plastic mouthpiece for the Europeans.

12. bigbandjazz

bigbandjazz New Member

I've not tried kelly mouthpieces but i use the Warburton delrin plastic mouthpieces for cornet & trumpet alot dearer than Kelly .They are comfortable and react just like the metal versions

13. wilearl

wilearl Member

Where is the cheapest place to buy them? You can get them for around a fiver can't you? I think i've seen them on trade stands quite cheap. I'm after a cheap one to try out - even if it's second hand.

14. George BB

George BB Member

I first tried the Kelly 24AW on my BBb bass and found the sound OK but it did seem to get hot. Then I saw an offer for the Kellyberg (the big bucket) on ebay and decided to give that a try. I have now been using it for 18 months or so and find it just great. I feel more relaxed on both high and low notes and feel it gives a nice mellow tone, which I believe the double B is there for. As it is a clear one it encourages me to clean it before the Christmas cake builds up too much. Also being so much lighter than the normal brass lump, I can keep it in a pocket and just have a buzz now and then to keep the lip in. I know I should practice more but transporting the beast is always a problem. If there is really reincarnation, I'm coming back as a piccolo player.
    If you fancy trying one then borrow or buy one and give it a go. It might suit you

Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
  15. George, the answer could be a plastic BBb to go with your plastic mouthpiece!
    Gotta be a bit lighter :D

16. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Heeey!!! Don't knock it. Sousaphones can have plastic (or fibreglass) bells, now. Why not an all plastic BB? (Except maybe for the valves and valve casings).

Patent the idea?

17. iancwilx

iancwilx Well-Known Member

I think some American Sousa's are all plastic/fibreglass apart from the valve and slide assembly.
    They've been around for years.
    -Wilkie
    (Played 1930's Boosey Brass Sousaphone for 35 years inscribed "British Throughout")

18. Angoose

Angoose Member

I have to say it is an advantage to not have a cold mouthpeices, but it in my opinion it is a bad thing to have. Not only does tuning go out of the window but so does how well you play. I don't think they are a good by

19. iRyan

iRyan Member

Ayee, I don't think he plays on a Kelly though, i've forgotten the name of them now (sumatplex)! He proves himself that plastic mouthpieces arent just for outdoor gigs!

I used to play on a 5G Kelly, and it worked quite well, but now just moved back onto metal and it's improved my sound quite alot! Must be just a personal opinion whether plastic works for you or not!

20. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

I beleive it is to do with the density of the material a mpc is made of. Vibrations made inside the mpc can be lost through the sides of a mpc and the softer the material the more that is lost. Plastic loses a lot Brass just a little Stainless almost none at all.
    The harder ( or more dense ) the materiel the more vibrations get funeled into the instrument. The bigger the sound produced.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice