Plastic mouthpieces!!

Discussion in ' User Reviews' started by smila, Sep 25, 2006.

1. smila

smila Member

The bass player in my band has just bought a plastic mouthpiece... nobody try it!
    His playing has got from bad to worse, and apparently so has his ear. He can't hear any difference!
  2. SuperMosh

SuperMosh New Member

our Bb player has placcy kelly mouthpieces, have had a blow on them myself and although fairly comfy and less 'harsh' than the DW3l I am currently on, I wasn't impressed.

Having said that, our chap doesn't seem to suffer with his and plenty of players seem to have them. Maybe your bass player didn't adapt to the change or is too used to a hunk of metal on his chops?
  3. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

I have been very impressed with the cornet ones (and the trumpet ones). Not necessarily what I would choose for everyday use, but definitely a good cheap option, especially for those who suffer from allergic reactions to certain metals.

Just remember - if it doesn't work for one particular player this does not mean that it is useless for everyone - just because you can't wear size 12 shoes, this doesn't mean that nobody should wear them.
  4. zak

zak Member

How on earth can you make a sweeping statement like NOBODY TRY IT??????

Unless I have read wrong you are not even the person who have played on the mouthpiece in question. As already mentioned previously, what's good for one is not necessarily good for another!!! I know a lot of people who find plastic mouthpieces ok.

Incidently, I have played on a plexi-glass mouthpiece for the past 5 years as did the solo euphonium at Grimethorpe for a quite a while so perhaps non-metal mouthpieces can't be that bad??????????????

Just my thoughts :clap:
  5. jingleram

jingleram Active Member

Woo I think the Kelly's mouthpieces are great! Although by all accounts the bass mouthpieces seem not to be worth talking about, generally all the others seem to be good! My one is fantastic for outdoor jobbies. Haven't found a plastic mouthpiece for percussion yet though, maybe Kelly's don't make them?
  6. matthetimp

matthetimp Member

mmmm I get less coldsore's since i have used a plastic mouthpiece and as a result can play more than i used to. isn't a plastic mouthpiece a good option for people who are allergic to metal mouthpieces?
  7. Ha funny ha. Actually, we were ahead of the game. Swannee whisltles and duck whistles have been plastic for a number of years.
  8. matthetimp

matthetimp Member

It wasn't a joke I am serious. I am a grade 7 cornet player as well as a perc player
  9. Matthetimp, I was replying to jingleram but your reply got in first.
  10. matthetimp

matthetimp Member

What's jingleram?
  11. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

I've tried a plastic mouthpiece on both the Eb and Bb Bass and found it to be no good at all.
  12. jingleram

jingleram Active Member

That would be me!!!!!!! :D
  13. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

up untill recently i used a JK (Josef Klier) mouth piece on my Bb cornet and loved it.

i did try a kelly but just couldnt get on with it.

the materials both manufacturters use are different.

have a look at their wesite, its pretty informative.
  14. zak

zak Member

I was not trying to use the JK plexi-glass mouthpiece I use as a comparative to the Kelly mouthpiece as they are totally different as the price of each will show. I was just merely making the observation that NON-METAL mouthpieces are ok in my opinion, and also that of some very experienced bandspeople I know/have played along side.

Ps... I know quite a few bass players who find the Kelly ok, admittedly a lot use it mainly for outdoor playing to avoid chapped lips, but nevertheless have no problem with it.

Cheers :tup
  15. Tromgod

Tromgod Member

I have used a Kelly plastic mouthpiece on tenor trom on several occasions and found them to be very good.

I might not choose to use it all of the time but it's very useful for cold gigs and as a second mouthpiece.
  16. smila

smila Member

Hi guys, sorry to offend you! I didn't mean to, I just meant that our bass player is having MEGA trouble with it. You lot can be touchy!
    By the way, matthetimp, there is no need to show off about what grade you are on, it is just a certificate, and in my opinion, how you feel your playing is going is better than how an examinor does...
  17. zak

zak Member

Not a case of being touchy at all

If you start threads containing sweeping statements like DON'T TRY IT about something you have not even tried yourself then you have to accept criticism etc.

Perhaps you should think about what you type in future if you don't like differing opinions???

Ps... your own opinion regarding the statement made by matthetimp could be construed as harsh and in your own words "touchy".

18. Jonny5Stars

Jonny5Stars New Member

Admittedly mouthpieces are all down to personal preference. I haven't tried plastic. I'm currently using a gold plated DW RW4 and although I'm not convinced the pattern is right for me, I'm definitely not going back to silver or brass.
  19. persins

persins Member

20. SuperMosh

SuperMosh New Member

All this over plastic mouthpieces!