planning permission needed????

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by super_sop, Apr 4, 2007.

1. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

Do i require planning permission to build a conservatory onto my house?:confused:

As moving is totaly out of the question, we need to expand our present living space.
    To that end we are thinking about adding a conservatory to give us the extra room we need.

so do i???:confused:

Confuzzled Craigy:redface:

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Pete
    Sir
    Harrogate
  3. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

I dont think so if it is single story. Our very own GeordieColin should be able to give you more details - pm him :)

4. super_sop

blinkin' heck that was quick!!!!:eek:

I'll give him a shout!
    :clap:

5. Liz Courts

Liz Courts Active Member

We didn't when we built ours (a few years ago now!), but the walls had to be below a certain height, and no radiators are allowed...! :)

6. iggmeister

iggmeister Member

Best thing is to call your local authority planning department. They are normally very good at indicating whether it is likely. Some development is allowed without an application under the General Permitted Development Order but it is a bit complicated to explain on a forum. You could ask them about that. However, it may not be applicable depending upon the size and site of your development and whether it goes beyond the building line.

Don't forget restrictions against development in you title deeds. If in doubt, see a solicitor.

Igg

7. SoloBaritone

SoloBaritone Member

When my Mum and Dad built theirs a couple of years ago they had to have permission from the neighbours on both sides. Luckily they both said yes.

Jayne

8. Di

Di Active Member

Craigy dear, these days you need permission to sneeze! :rolleyes:

Anyhoo, here's some notes from The Telford and Wrekin Council which may be of help.

You should certainly contact them and let them know about your intentions.

I remember when we tried to build an extension (before we moved), we got as far as having the plans all drawn up (and that part isn't cheap either) and they passed through a couple of phases of the permissions only to come to a full stop at the sewers department! Our house was at the end of the road, by a footpath under which the main sewer for the village ran. We were told we could build within 3 metres of the drainage in case they needed access to dig up the drains. That 3 metres went to within 8 inches of our side wall. Some extension that would have left us. :mad:

Anyway, give the nice chaps at the Council a call, they'll point you in the right direction.

Good luck. :)

9. winterman

winterman Member

I just recieved a letter from the Planning Department of our local council (Leeds) yesterday as the neighbour is wanting to build a conservatory.. Dunno if the rules are the same everywhere though..

10. super_sop

Cheers everyone. Thanks for the link Ma.
    I had a look at that earlier, and it seems i wont need plninng permission.
    Always better to check though, I'll ive em a ring tomorrow.:tup

11. Di

Di Active Member

You're welcome ma duck. And yes, always best to check. Even a house in your region doesn't need permission for a construction of a certain size, as indicated in my post, there may be other things to take into consideration.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Pete
    Sir
    Harrogate
  13. Barreltone

Barreltone New Member

Covenants

even if you don't generally need planning permission there can be specific covenants put on at the time the house was built. For example on our estate any size conservatory needs specific planning permission even if it isn't needed elsewhere in the town. This only came to light when the first person tried to move and sell their house. About 20 people then had to apply for retrospective planning permission and a local architect made a fortune drawing 'plans' for them all. They were all approved so quite what the point was ............

14. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I'm sure they're completely honourable ;)

15. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

This is quite a useful resource http://www.conservatoriesonline.com/planperm.htm

It apppears it is dependant on the volume of the conservatory as to whether or not permission is required.

If there are other people in your area who already have conservatories and ask if they required any local planning permission.

16. super_sop

Well it would seem that we are ok!

Kaz phoned up the council today and spoke to them telling them about our "awkward " neighbours, and we have been told told that no permission is required, in the councils view if we wanted to build a conservatoiry the length of our garden it would be ok (expensive, but ok!!!)

we've been in and ordered the conservatory, the company asures us that no permission is required and they have give us a letter to that effect, as well as a form for the council for them to confirm it for us.

So its conservatory warming ( or cooling deppending on the weather!!) our huse come may!!!!:biggrin:

17. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Good news! I suggest that you invest in roof blinds to keep the temperature down a bit!

18. super_sop

yeah, i'm hearing a lot of stories about how hot it will get in there!

I canna wait!!!

Excited Craigy!!

19. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

You can get fancy remote control ones, so as you sit there surveying your estate, sipping a large cocktail you don't need to move if it gets too hot!

20. super_sop

i have remote controll curtains,

we call them Abigail;):clap:

21. SuperMosh

SuperMosh New Member

I may be late or repeating here but when we had ours installed, we contacted the council who sent us a planning / building regs enquiry form. This was free and basically I completed it along with the measurements of the conservatory and also the installer's 3d plans.

The council wrote back 5 days later stating we didn't need planning permission or building regs. Apparently this letter is crucial for future use. Although you are not selling your home now, when you do the solicitor will want to see that planning consent was made. If it wasn't you will have to apply in retrospect and this has caused huge expense to people and also legal battles.

Of further interest is the fact that the conservatory cannot have a plumbed in central heating radiator installed (as apparently this then makes it an extension) and you have to have a lockable door between your house and the conservatory.

There are a few more rules like this you need to consider too - if you are having a firm install yours, they should advise you. If not, there are loads of sites out there which can help.

22. super_sop

Cheers Pete, the company that will be fitting it gave us the forms for the council, and part filled them in for us with dimensions etc, its in the post now!!!:tup