Places to watch on whit friday?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by leisa, Apr 8, 2008.

1. leisa

leisa Active Member

Hello, :biggrin:

This thread has prob been done before, but every time i try and search it tells me i have copied the letter thread in wrong so....

My Uncle and his wife would like to go and watch on whit friday, I have never been for the day just to watch I have always played so I haven't really got a clue as to where the best places to watch are.

They aren't that young so will probably be taking deck chairs or something to sit on, I am guessing they will probably be wanting a couple of pints, and I don't think they are particularily fussed about seeing me but would probably like to see Brighouse, Dyke etc...

Anyone got any good suggestions?
  2. horn1

horn1 Member

If they're there for the morning, Uppermill. In the evening I would say Dobcross or Delph probably have the best atmosphere for the audience.
  3. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

I agree, Delph is a top spot to go to. I was there a couple of years ago to watch and saw every band that went down.
    Fantastic place.

Avoid Uppermill in the evening though, It's good in the morn as Horn1 says but as the night gets on it tends to get a bit rowdy and can sometimes get very nasty.
  4. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

Delph is a treat- although I heard there were rowdy Scottish people there last year playing with light sabres in the middle of the road between the bands. Disgraceful.
  5. leisa

leisa Active Member

haha extra entertainment! I think I would have quite enjoyed that! x
  6. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

Wouldn't know about that, I got to Delph late last year (Last band on)
    Didn't see anyone with Lightsabers.
  7. wewizrobbed

wewizrobbed Member

Probably because they broke!!! Raging!!

Laura can't believe you won't be there this year, it won't be the same. Steph is playing sop though ha ha ha!

Btw, I'd recommend Delph too for watching...
  8. flugtastic

flugtastic Member

scouthead and austerlands is another family friendly venue. chairs are provided there and there is a beer tent.. 68 bands played last year i think!
  9. horn1

horn1 Member

Yes but it is on the top of a hill and if the weather is anything other than fantastic it can get pretty windy and cold. Also not a great deal of atmosphere.
  10. andyp

andyp Active Member

For listening and atmosphere Delph, for an overall experience in a lovely village setting Dobcross. I'd quite happily stop at either!

A lot of the other places are great until it goes cold later on (especially if at the top of hills!), but I'd avoid Uppermill as unfortunately it attracts those (non-banders) who only want to get drunk and cause trouble.
  11. Colin D

Colin D Member

Greenfield's nice for the deckchair brigade - plenty of space on the field and there never seems to be any trouble. Big money first prize this year as well, so you might get a few more of the fancied bands coming through...
  12. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

were they actual light sabres or stolen official chav brass merchandise glow-sticks?
  13. wewizrobbed

wewizrobbed Member

They were actual factual light sabres! How amazing. Anyway the glow sticks weren't even 'stolen'!
  14. flugtastic

flugtastic Member

sadlleworth is on the top of hills :biggrin:
    i have to dissagree about atmosphere! they have something to entertain everyone. they had a firework display at the end of a contest a couple of years ago, the thwaites shire horses have been there pulling a cart, the tradition of the mayor of Austerlands. I dont know what has been organised for this year yet but no doubt it will be something impressive:clap:
    Thats just my opinion though. you would have to experiance it to have your own opinion :cool:
  15. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Personally speaking, If I was going to listen for myself, I'd head to Dobcross, Delph or Greenfield.

I recommended Delph to a mate from work last year because his parents were coming up from Ipswich, and they took my advice. They thoroughly enjoyed it, got to see just about every top band that was out that day and were mightily impressed when they realised after the event that they could by a recording of selected bands of the day.

They got the CD as a pressie for Christmas and as far as I know they're heading back there again this year.