Places to stay for British Open

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by rebecca, Aug 8, 2006.

1. rebecca

rebecca Member

Sorry to be a pain but does anyone have any recommendations for cheapish places to stay in Birmingham which are not too far from the Symphony Hall? (Hotels, B&B or even park benches)
  2. leisa

leisa Active Member

Becca, I'm easy on where we stay but i need to draw the line at a park bench hehe :p
  3. winterman

winterman Member

4. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Last time I went I stopped in a Travel Inn - there are a couple fairly of which is supposedly 0.2 miles from Symphony Hall....

Depends what kind of facilities you want....
  5. iggmeister

iggmeister Member

Not the cheapest, but one of the most convenient is the Jurys. Full of band-ies as well.

6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Is it still fairly easy to get tickets for the Open on the actual day of the contest?
  7. leisa

leisa Active Member

U can usually get em ok on the day!!

Am not buyin a ticket this year theres only 1 or 2 bands that i would go to listen to anyway so am just gonna sit and watch the one i want to listen to on the screen outside :clap: rest of time -bar!
  8. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

thanks ... I'm thinking about going this year ... the combination of Mozart and Wilby is very tempting!
  9. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Should be a great day if last year was anything to go by. Went with RT and we had a blast. Can't make it this year though as I am hoping to be in Greece somewhere...:)
  10. dyl

dyl Active Member

I'd actually suggest you try and get tickets well in advance - we've always done so and had a couple of passenger come with us a few years ago thinking they'd get tickets on the day! Oh no! And last year, a small group of us decided to go as a last minute thing (about a week before the contest) and there were very few tickets left at that stage - ended up with some at the very front, in the corner, which wasn't ideal to listen to the bands by a long way!
  11. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

12. rebecca

rebecca Member

Hope you're not planning on a repeat of the English Nationals Leis! Lol!! Tut tut! I might buy a ticket this year, got given one last year by a random bloke. Don't think that will happen twice in a row!

Ps.What's wrong with a park bench??? lol!! might be my only option!
  13. leisa

leisa Active Member

i suppose they could be quite comfy lol!!

me? repeat of english nationals?? no not a chance!! hehe. Im not like that usually im a good girl and dont generally tend to drink alot!
    So yeh probably hehe with hopefully fewer trips to the loos!! x
  14. rebecca

rebecca Member

think you scared half of Salford with that scream you gave!!!! lol!!!
  15. leisa

leisa Active Member

Yeh but to be fair it had to be done hehe!! :biggrin:
  16. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

I didn't think it would matter where you sat in the hall, I've only had seats miles away from the stage, procured on the day. You can still HEAR the band wherever you are sitting.
  17. leisa

leisa Active Member

think were atyin in Jurys or Quality Inn dependin which is cheaper anyone else stayin in either of these kow the prices etc??? or anyone else just stayin at one of these? :)
  18. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

yeah Leisa I am!!! on your floor remember hehe
  19. leisa

leisa Active Member

I know that Rachel!!! i think most people are haha :p