PJBE Quiz, Mk II

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Dave Payn, May 20, 2004.

1. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Okay, I'll give you a week! ;-) PM me with your answers please. Some are multiple choice, others not.

1.What was the name of their first ‘solo’ album? (i.e. just the ensemble, no other groups involved)
    (a) Brass Now and Then
    (b) Just Brass
    (c) Classics for Brass

2. Who conducted the ensemble when they recorded Malcolm Arnold’s Symphony for Brass for the album: ‘Modern Brass?

(a) Howard Snell
    (b) Elgar Howarth
    [c] Philip Jones

3.Who arranged Saint Saens’ Carnival of the Animals for the ensemble?
    (a) Elgar Howarth
    (b) Roger Harvey
    (c) Peter Reeve

4.Who replaced Elgar Howarth as the group’s lead trumpet in 1977?
    [a] Paul Archibald
    James Watson
    [c] Maurice Murphy

5.Gordon Langford provided one original work for the group. What was its title?
    6.True or False, the PJBE were the first brass group to record and release Richard Strauss’s complete Festmusik der Stadt Wien
    7.Name the composer who provided four ‘cats’ for the ensemble. For a bonus point, name the other role he occasionally performed for the group
    8.Name their American bass trombonist in the 1970s and 80s who wrote a work for them entitled Divertimento.
    9.In what way were the PJBE heard highly regularly on BBC TV throughout the 1970s and 80s?
    10.When the PJBE became London Brass after Philip Jones retired from playing, who became the regular flugelhorn player?
    [a] Rod Franks
    Mark Bennett
    [c] Anne McAneney
  2. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Well done Peter Bale. He was the only one who entered but got all bar the 'bonus' question right!