Pitted cornet valve

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Brass Band Drummer, Feb 24, 2014.

1. I have a 1976 (according to serial number charts) Boosey & Hawkes Imperial cornet. Overall, it is in nice condition, but the No.1 valve had been slow. I have just found out why (I hope so). I had thought that the valve plating was perfect, and after wasting a full bottle of valve oil cleaning, inspecting, washing out and re-oiling over some time, I think I have discovered the cause. I found a speck of corrosion on the valve, about 0.75mm across, with the chrome raised very slightly at its edges. I have gently smoothed the chrome off at the edges of the speck, and it seems to have done the trick.

I don’t want to be stuck without a reasonable cornet again, and nor do I want to spend a lot of money on the instrument when that might bring its total cost to rather more than the price of replacing it. Does anyone know, please, whether this pitting is likely to get much worse very quickly, assuming a good cleaning regime?
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  2. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Sounds similar to what tends to happen to old Conn trombone slides - the plating wears off on a speck on a stocking, and the exposure of the underlying metal results in a small raised speck - not sure what it is? Oxidation maybe? After careful filing down such slides will run fine for years.

Maybe it's not quite the same thing, but it sounds at least close.
  3. Many thanks.
  4. Neillyboy

Neillyboy Member

I always carry a small nail file and a strip of fine emery cloth and a duster to wipe down after. It's amazing just how many instruments this happens to.