Pirates of The Carribean By Dan Price

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Waterboy, Jan 12, 2005.

1. Waterboy

Waterboy New Member

Hi all,

Can anyone help?

I am trying to get hold of The Pirates of the Carribean Music ARR. BY DAN PRICE I dont know for definate if he has done an arrangement but by word of mouth i have heard he has.

Does anyone know were i can get it from and if so let me know of the details.
    Or if anyone has any contact details for Dan Price that be good

Thanks

Matt Fearn
    Principal Cornet
    Flixton Band

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Dan Price Hi
    Pirates of The Carribean
    The Pirates of the Carribean Music ARR
    Matt Fearn
    Dan Price
  3. ScreamingSop

ScreamingSop Member

yup he sure has!
    i have played it too and its good!
    but from what i know, he hasnt finished it yet but it was near completion. i will ask him for you

4. Waterboy

Waterboy New Member

thanks thats great, my friends youth band wud like to use it in a contest later this year

5. ScreamingSop

ScreamingSop Member

well i will ask him, from what i remember it was a good tough arangement. will check, not sure if hes waiting for it being published before giving people copies if you get me?

6. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

I'm sure there is a publised version by Bruce Fraser.

7. wally

wally Member

I dont know how many arrangements of this piece there are floating around, but i read a review of one last year that sounded pretty wax - this might be the fraser arr. ???

the theme is really great so it would be well worth hanging in there for a good arrangement.

could we get a firm word on Dan's plans for his arrangement ??

8. ScreamingSop

ScreamingSop Member

will ask him wehn im back at uni, which wont be long, then will let you know

9. cornetchap

cornetchap Member

Did this question ever get answered?

I've only seen the Bruce Fraser arrangement for sale but from the comment on here it sounds like it's worth waiting for something better. Could someone clarify their throughts on the Fraser arrangement. Is it any good? Is it suitable for a 4th section band?

Cheers, Greg.

10. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Our mentioned something about it too. Apparently a friend of his is trying to sort some copyright issues, and hopefully will let us have a look when he has.

Rest assured, I'm sure publication will follow in good time!

11. wally

wally Member

ok. screamin sop?..youout there?

could somebody please get the word from mr price himself. you just cant leave us hanging on like this!!!! it wont do!!!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Dan Price Hi
    Pirates of The Carribean
    The Pirates of the Carribean Music ARR
    Matt Fearn
    Dan Price
  13. wally

wally Member

14. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

I'll see Dan tomoro and ask...

15. Jonno

Jonno Member

Hi,

I have been reading this thread with interest as I, too, have been looking for an arrangement of this soundtrack. After no success in tracking one down I contacted Disney (the copyright owners) to see if they could help me track one down.

They informed me that NO ARRANGEMENTS HAD BEEN AUTHORISED TO DATE meaning that any arrangements that are out there, published or not, are illegal. I don't want to be seen to hark on too much about copyright but do we, as bandsman, need someone to be sued for the £25k before anybody will take any notice. All this talk about 'acquired an arrangement, not sure if it is published' is asking for trouble.

Please, none of us want to see a band 'go bust' and have to fold because of our flouting of copyright laws. I think that it is now a case of 'When somebody is sued', rather than 'If' unless we take some responsibility. If it is not authorised, I implore you, don't play it. Also, don't take the words "It's okay" as a proof of authorisation, get something in writing from the copyright owners.

Rant over !!!!

16. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

There is also the possibility that with Disney being such a large organisation, the person you spoke to may not have known the full facts. Anyway, Disney may not even own the copyright for the musical score. I know some of the arrangers named in this thread and they are all honest people who I am sure would not countenance selling an unlicensed arrangement of a piece of copyright work.

17. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

Agree with this John, I've got an arrangement of Pirates of the Caribbean for my school wind band, published by Studio Music. I can't see them publishing works if it's illegal somehow!

18. Jonno

Jonno Member

Just to clarify, the person I spoke with was in charge of the print licensing division in the US. He explained how Disney controls the global print copyrights for 'Pirates' and all their other works through a series of 'offices' and 'agents' globally (in the UK it is handled by IMP) but everything is funnelled through the US for final approval. It is plausible that something slipped through the net but, I would think, unlikely. The request I made was for Brass Band specifically, I know Hal Leonard sells windband and orchestral versions which Studio distribute in the UK, perfectly legal of course.

However, I was not accusing anyone of selling unauthorised arrangement but we all know the creation and 'freebie' passing of music goes on. 'A.N.Other' conductor likes a particular piece of music but cannot find an arrangement so, quite often without permission, they make their own. His/her band performs the work with a different conductor in the audience who asks for the piece and the original conductor copies a set for them and so on and so on until loads of bands have it. Perhaps this is perfectly innocent but it still does not make it legal.

My points may have been placed in this thread but they cover a more general role where I do not want any bands to be penalised and fined extortionate amounts of money (which, in most cases, would cause the band to go bust!!) because of an innocent mistake. The judge will not accept "I thought it was okay" as a reason.

19. Naomi McFadyen

I spoke with Dan Price today who said his arrangement is almost finished, and is awaiting to hear back from Walt Disney about publicising...
    He's a member on tmp-land, so I pointed him in the direction of the thread, so no doubt he'll be checking it out in the not too distant future ;-)

20. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

Niaomi... Walt Disney's Dead!!

Sorry to break it so harshly...

21. Naomi McFadyen

the company!!!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

22. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

It's really wierd how copyright works though isn't it? Obviously for something to get through any reputable publisher it's gotta be authorised. But so many parts of the same music can be owned by different companies.

(Looking along his bookshelf, his eyes light on an Oasis scorebook.)

All songs copyright oasis music/creation songs
    This arrangement copyright wise publications
    Copyright of the recordings themselves owned by Big brother records

If you did an arrangement of any of the songs contained therein, regardless of whether you used the book or not, it seems there are four companies who could sue you!!! So even if you had permmission from one of them, or even the chap who wrote the song himself, that still leaves plenty of others who could nail you to the wall for it for infringing their copyright.

Are there any hard and fast rules for this stuff? Or is it the veritable minefield it seems to be?

It starts to seem like a miracle anything ever gets published! How long before lawyers have to verify your concert programme before you put it out?

If disney or whoever HAVEN'T authorised an arrangement yet then it looks like they've missed a trick, because there's plenty of people who seem to want one!