Pieces where the movements don't seem to fit together.

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Will the Sec, Mar 27, 2004.

1. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

As a welcome break from Partita, PMc got out Vintner's Entertainments at Fulham's rehearsal on Thursday.

I'd never played it before, though I'd clearly heard it many times as all three of the movements were familiar.

After the rehearsal, I found myself wondering if there were any other pieces which would leave me musing how such a wonderful sounding movement (the 2nd) could end up between two quirky(?) weird(?) off the wall(?) disparate movements.

I'm sure given time, I'd grow to love playing Entertainments, as I'm a big fan of Vintner, but the incongruence between the second movement and the other two seems huge at the moment.

Opinions?

2. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Regardless of whether the movements actually 'fit' (and I'm sort of with you on that one, but I still love the piece!) there was , I believe (not 100% certain) another movement which was dropped from the original, which I believe was included on a CD, though for the life of me I can't remember which one. I may be thinking of another Vinter piece. Can't be sure.

Killing two birds with one stone, Will; avatars. Save your 'photo' (or logo) as a jpeg. Then resize it to the specifications as indicated at the bottom of your tMP profile (115 by 110 pixles, I think) and attach where indicated.

There may be other, quicker, better ways, but that's how I got our trophy on there! ;-)

Hope this helps.

Regards

DP
    Chilling out on the Isle of Arran!

3. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Maybe he was going for incongruence :shock:

Dropping movements is fairly common when things are published, because the publishers are often going for a certain length.

Is it possible that the movements were actually written at different times and simply cobbled together when they weren't intended to be in the first place?

4. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

Keep your eyes open for a piece called "Seven Wonders" by Daniel Bloomfield.

It is a gorgeous little piece with some fascinating moments. However none of those memnts ever flows nicely into each other!! And these aren't even movements, they're one big piece of play a theme-stop-play the next theme-stop-etc etc.....

5. ted

ted Member

I don't really like Seven Wonders. It's not catchy enough to be a good tuneful test piece, and it isn't smart enough to be a brainy testpiece. I wonder if the composer thought that it would become a testpiece when he wroted it?

Ted

6. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

The last movement of 'Royal Parks' by George Lloyd is a stunningly incongruous example. First we have the thrilling aerobatics of 'Dawn Flight', then the moving 'In Memoriam', then the grand finale... the dreadful and inconclusive banality that is 'Holidays'. Is it just me that finds this jarring juxtaposition of beauty and crud almost offensive?

Dave

7. Brian Bowen

Brian Bowen Active Member

I too feel let down by the 3rd movement of "Royal Parks." Maybe it fits into the composer's title concept but musically it's an anticlimax.

8. Okiedokie of Oz

I personallly wonder if he thought at all!! It's like he did a Conti - took a good theme wrote it down. Then he did it again. and again. thenhe laid them end-to-end, took a photo of each part and had Kodak publish the piece.

9. Nigel Hall

Nigel Hall Supporting Member

The Original Entertainments was written for String Orchestra and consisted of 4 movements - The one omitted from the Band version is "Taproom Ballade" and as the title sounds is a "boozy" piece that features the trombone. It can be heard on the Vinter cd Triumphant Rhapsody (Vol 2) played by Brett Baker, whilst Entertainments is on Spectrum (Vol 1).

10. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I like "Seven Wonders", which has now been referred to a few times, mainly by our antipodean friends. Daniel Bloomfield seems to have quite a talent in wrinting for brass, and if anyone wants to hear "Seven Wonders" they can find it on the cd "Sirius" by the Kew Band.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    fan
    break
    Vintner
    sounding movement
    Entertainments
  12. Okiedokie of Oz

I think Daniel has a nice ear for sweet sounds. Thanks for plugging us "antipodeans"!! Kew is also a darn fine band!