Pieces that shouldn't be done for band?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by BeatTheSheep, Feb 15, 2006.

1. BeatTheSheep

BeatTheSheep Member

What pieces shouldn't be written/arranged for band? Have you got any pieces that you have played that you just think, "that just didn't work!", whether for lack of tone colour in the band compared to its' original, or lack of change due to the loss of the words - most pop songs then!

Perhaps you also have a suggestion for a piece that hasn't been done - and shoudn't ever be attempted - like stravinskys' Rite of Spring (may sound a bit samey in tone colour!)

suggestions: saint saens organ symphony (without organ!) - just doesn't work

roman festivals (resphighi): sounds like a mess for brass band. sorry mr.snell
  2. JR

JR Member

....don't you mean Mr Farr?
    I thought this transcription worked pretty well, much better than for instance Themes from Beethoven's 8th Symphony or arrangements of Mozart.

3. tinytimp

tinytimp Member

I know I'll get told off for this, but I don't think Firebird works very well for brass band. The Farr arrangement, admittedly, is very good and sticks as close as possible to the original, but I'm very much a Stravinsky person and don't think anything but a full orchestra could do it justice.
  4. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Both the Pines of Rome and Roman Festivals were arranged by Howard Snell and recorded by the then Britannia Builden Society Band.

Don't know if Ray's done an alternative arrangement, though.
  5. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Any arragement by Frank Bearnarts:The Abba Selection -spings to mind:oops:
  6. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Roman Festivals (Feste Romane) was arr Farr and recorded by Imps in the early 80s. Personally, I think it's ace.

99% of pop songs, on the other hand, should not be arranged for brass band ever. Angels anyone?

Oi, Bernaerts! NOOOOOOOOO!
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2006
  7. Bob Sherunkle

Bob Sherunkle Member

Smack My Bitch Up

Goes down like a cup of cold sick in church
  8. Bob Sherunkle

Bob Sherunkle Member

Cock Up Your Beaver

Robert Burns
  9. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Then there are two - this is taken from a google cache of an old Fodens Richardson CD page:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-2]Ravenswood [/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-2]William Rimmer [/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-2]March Spectacular[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-2]Rhapsody in Brass [/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-2]Dean Goffin [/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-2]Rule Britannia[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-2]Riverdance [/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-2]Bill Whelan,[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-2] arr. Ray Farr [/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-2]Whitsun Wakes[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-2]Roll Away Bet[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-2]J. Ord Hume[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-2]Centenary Brass[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-2]Roman Festivals [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-2]Ottorino Respighi, [/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-2] arr. Howard Snell [/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-2]The Pines of Rome[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-2]Rule Britannia[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-2]William Rimmer[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-2]Rimmer[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-2]Rushian Circus Music[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-2]Ray Woodfield [/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-2]Champion Sound[/SIZE][/FONT]

The Beatles arr Broadbent, anybody? Sorry Derek.
  10. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

The 'expansion' of Victor Ewald's Quintet No 1 ('Symphony for Brass') for brass band which was used at the areas a few years back. It's just something that is a lovely piece of quintet writing but simply didn't 'join' or flow to my ears for band.
  11. JR

JR Member

I agree - i judged it at the Yorks Area. At least there was the consolation that the winning band went on to win the finals!

john r
  12. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

Images Of The MIllenium :D
  13. HBB

HBB Active Member

It's a great piece!!!
  14. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- in it's original format maybe? (didn't like the narration with it though!)
  15. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Singalongamax selections 1, 2 and 3
  16. drummerboy

drummerboy Member

Agree on both counts. A proper arrangement for band and organ would be fine (done one myself, anyone want to play it? Sorry, shameless self plug there)
    I think the Roman Festivals arrangement by Snell is too messy. The original has too many different sounds and textures which not even Howard snell can truly do for band.
    Also like to add ANYTHING by Frank Baernarts. It's just rubbish. Plain and simple.
  17. Boner

Boner New Member

how many do you want??????

cringeworthy numbers include...

john miles 'music', most conductors have never heard the original (which rocks)
    bohemian rhapsody, which sounds abysmal by any brass band

TIMBONE Active Member

Maybe this would be a good time to put my article "What is an arrangement" on tMP, which was in British Bandsman before Christmas.

It is true that some pieces, especially in the Western classical genre, will not work well on a brass band, however skilled the arranger is. I would venture to add that there may well be pieces originally composed for brass band, which would loose something in another medium.

It may be true that there are one or two arrangers over the years who have lacked some creativity and imagination, although, for obvious reasons, I will take a neutral stance on that one. Having said that, I understand this topic to be about whether a certain piece will work on an all brass ensemble. I do not think we can generalise and say that a certain kind of music doesn't work, like a pop song for example. Sorry Anno Draconis, I think 99% is a bit harsh :)
  19. prince_turhan

prince_turhan New Member

Following in their footsteps

Looking at this from a different angle, if a composer like J.S. Bach can rescore (arrange if you like) pieces by Vivaldi to great acclaim, and also the celebrated Ravel arrangement of Mussorgsky's 'Pictures at an Exhibition', then why, if a piece of music is fantastic, should it not be allowed to air by a different medium such as a brass band? I would add the caveat that it has to be 'suitable' music, and transcribed or arranged with creativity and skill.
  20. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

OK, I'll accept that a lot of people like and enjoy pop songs arranged for brass bands. It's just that of all the pop songs I've played or conducted in band the only one I can remember enjoying was "Hey Jude". Maybe I should qualify that to say that 99% of the arranged pop songs I've encountered have been cack. Try this though: Make a list of your favourite pop songs of all time, and then underline those that you think would make a great band arrangement. I've just done it and couldn't (in all conscience) underline any!

PS I'd be very interested to read your article (and I'm too tight to buy the Bandsman)!