Pieces that are under recorded?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by John Brooks, Sep 15, 2010.

1. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

This question came to mind while reading the "over recorded" thread. I don't believe this has been asked elsewhere. What music would you like to see receive a new (or a first) recording?

I'll start off with Prague (Judith Bingham); Confrontations (Dudley Bright); Day of the Spiritual (Brian Bowen); and Logos (Ray Steadman-Allen).

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Brian Bowen
    Logos
    Ray Steadman-Allen
  3. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Prague has been recorded twice to my knowledge.

How's about Derek Bougeois' Concerto No.2 for band? I don't think it's ever been done.

4. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

A studio recording of Odin (Arthur Butterworth), Grimethorpe Aria (Harrison Birtwhistle), Concerto for Brass Band (Thea Musgrave), Atlantic Toccata (Nigel Clarke), The Pendle Witches (Nigel Clarke) ... in fact, just collect the Clarke works and feature them on a CD ... :rolleyes:

5. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Alun Hoddinott's Symphony for Brass and Percussion
    Gareth Wood's Tuba Mirum
    Tippett's Festal Brass with Blues

6. davetubaking

davetubaking Member

Do you mean the Variations for Brass band? If she did write a concerto do you have any other info?

Whilst the Bourgeois 2nd BB concerto hasn't been recorded you can listen to it here (if you'll forgive the plug)

7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Nope, you're right! Variations is what she wrote! I must have been thinking of another work at the time.

8. Keith Stanley James Lever

Keith Stanley James Lever Supporting Member

Brass band pieces not very often recorded

Embassy Suite by Allan Street (I think the music for this is out of print)
    Snowdon Fantasy by T.J. Powell
    On The Cornish Coast by Henry Geehl
    Saga Of The North by Cyril Jenkins

KSJ

9. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

Yes to all of these (allowing for the fact that two versions of Grimethorpe Aria are on CD) and that the Musgrave piece is Variations (as someone else has pointed out).. Plus:

• Birtwistle's Salford Toccata (I've never even heard it)
    • Illustrations by Phyllis Tate
    • A big yes to someone else's suggestion of Bourgeois's 2nd Concerto, and also his concerto for quintet and band
    • A whole CD of the music of Philip Lane to feature his wonderful Concertino
    • Robin Holloway's two war memorial pieces, Men Marching and From Hills and Valleys
    • Adrian Cruft's delightful Traditional Hornpipe Suite
    • Peter Maxwell-Davies' The Peatcutters
    • A CD featuring all five of Judith Bingham's works for band
    • And of course, a brand spanking new version of The Trumpets, all six movements of it, in sparkling 942 bit stereo or whatever it's called, perhaps coupled with Jo Horovitz's Samson
    I could go on......

Incidentally, Bourgeois is the featured composer at next year's RNCM Festival - is it too much to hope that someone might play his 2nd Concerto? And if they have to work it up, might they commit it to a recording? Fingers crossed...

Last edited: Sep 16, 2010
  10. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

"The Warrior Psalm" (Ray Steadman-Allen)
    [... just on the offchance that someone at WoB is reading ... ;) ]

11. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

As soon as I saw the title of this thread, I just knew I'd find this towards the top!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Brian Bowen
    Logos
    Ray Steadman-Allen
  13. WorldofBrass.com

Recently recorded by Norwich Citadel Band for its forthcoming North American tour CD.

You might even get the chance to hear it live if you take a look at the tour itinerary here; http://www.norwichcitadelband.org.uk/index.htm

14. Nigel Hall

Nigel Hall Supporting Member

Two Gareth Wood pieces I'd love to hear recorded are "Hinemoa" and "Introduction and Allegro"

15. John Brooks

Great; thanks Carl......Woodstock on the 19th it will be!

16. John Brooks

A further CD of R. S-A's music could also include a studio recording of Fantasia for Band and Piano; I know it's been done but.......

17. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

The Maunsell Forts - John McCabe

18. WorldofBrass.com

and played by Bram Tovey?

19. jockinafrock

jockinafrock Active Member

I'd love it if 'Nocturne' by Harold Noble was recorded. I've asked before and I think Fairey's may have done it - other than that I've only heard the NYBBS play it. What a shame because it's a beautiful piece. Does anyone know of it? :confused:

20. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Something else I would like recorded is many of the European Championship commissions that have never made it to the studio. Too many to mention.

21. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Capriccio by Kenneth Downie is a fantastic piece, and as far as I know there are no recordings of this.

22. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

The Land of the Long White Cloud (Sparke) - absolutely cracking piece of music