Pieces that are over-recorded?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Aurora771, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Aurora771

Aurora771 Member

I just realised I've got 3 different versions of 'Serenade', so are there any pieces you feel have been recorded far too often for CD, or the like?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Serenade
    different versions
    Pieces
    CD
  3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Resurgam is one piece that comes to mind ... ;)

4. Aurora771

Aurora771 Member

Ha. Good thing too! I like to have a listen to various interpretations before I have a shot at something! :tup

5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I still haven't decided which recording I like the best :dunno

6. Aurora771

Aurora771 Member

What recordings are there? I know of two, Black Dyke's (the one that easy to find on YouTube), and Kempisch Jeugdfanfare Orkest's one recorded in 2007.

7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Since it was written, there has been loads of recordings, too many even for me to list! However, there are some SA recordings that are available for free to listen to here. Just click on which one to try (the International Staff Band recording has been given good reviews), download (or save) and open.

8. Aurora771

Aurora771 Member

Cheers brassy :tup

9. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Nae probs! New York Staff Band is a good reading too, btw!

10. Owen S

Owen S Member

I'm surprised that this thread isn't a reaction to the thread listing the recordings of Paganini Variations and Resurgam that feature in the World of Brass catalogue.

;)

11. Gorgie boy

Gorgie boy Member

Enfiedl Citadel Band (Bandmaster James Williams), recorded in 1984 for Chandos on the LP (!) Kaleidoscope, later released on CD is my favourite recording.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Serenade
    different versions
    Pieces
    CD
  13. carlwoodman

carlwoodman Member

Of Salvation Army repertoire, Share My Yoke and The Call of the Righteous have been popular recording choices.

14. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

Glancing through my collection I notice I have multiple versions of Gilbert Vinter pieces:

• 7 recordings of Variations on a Ninth and Spectrum
    • 6 recordings of Salute to Youth
    • 5 recordings each of James Cook, Circumnavigator and Triumphant Rhapsody
    • 4 recordings each of John O'Gaunt, Alla Burlesca, Elegy and Rondo and Fancy's Knell
    • 1 partridge in a pear tree
    And the depressing thing is that in each case they all sound very much the same in terms of interpretation.

Apart from that, I have an industrial number of various versions of The Carnival of Bl***y Venice, although the number is not as high as the number of recordings I have refused to buy because they contain The Carnival of Bl***y Venice.

So, in answer to the original question, all the above I feel have been recorded far, far too often.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
  15. Aurora771

Aurora771 Member

It might've been if I actually visited World of Brass. However, I don't. (Plus this thread was made before the other one).

16. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

There's more in This Thread...

worst offenders in my collection are Danny Bl**dy Boy, David of the Bl**dy Rock, Toccata & Fudge and Journey into Freedom, plus way too many of the aforementioned Paganinis and Resurgams :rolleyes:

17. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Enfiedl? Infidel? You said it Paul, lol! At least it can be heard for free on Salvo Audio. Although I have many recordings of Resurgam, it's not a piece I rush home to listen to. Shame I don't have a recording of Tredegar playing Paganini with Mr Evans conducting them at the Scottish Open when it was the set test. Inspired reading that brought out normally unheard layers in the piece.

18. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

Beat me to it!

19. themusicalrentboy

themusicalrentboy Active Member

Karl Jenkins' Benedictus.

20. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

Concerto d'Aranjuez
    Death or Glory
    The Force of Destiny

21. simonium

simonium Member

Topically, Paganini Variations, especially when the performance is as laboured as Black Dyke's recent effort on A Breathless Alleluia. Check out the sop at 13.06-15. Great player but that should never been allowed to make it to the finished disc... I now have Sun Life, Grimethorpe, Black Dyke, and Fodens versions of this piece, each offering nothing the first Grimethorpe recording doesn't .

22. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Sun Life recorded Paganini? When and on which album? A good & alternative reading to the classic Renton/Grimey one is Peter Parkes and Fairey from 1991.