Pieces that are long overdue a recording.

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by simonium, Jan 11, 2011.

1. simonium

simonium Member

Having just read some of the Commissioned Music thread, I got to thinking about a couple of pieces that I've heard in live performances but haven't heard a studio recording. The two that spring to mind for me are Atlantic Toccata by Nigel Clarke, and the ethereal and quite wonderful Dance Before The Lord by Philip Wilby, for brass and electronics. I have heard a recording of the latter performed by the NYBBGB on Radio 3 about 15 years ago but have never heard mention of it since.

Obviously no thread like this can be started without the obligatory, "if anyone knows of such recordings...".

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Dance Before The Lord
    Atlantic Toccata
    Nigel Clarke
    Philip Wilby
    Commissioned Music thread
  3. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

The Parc & Dare band played it at a concert in London three or four years ago, but to my knowledge didn't go on to record it.

4. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

I would have said Graduation Day by Philip Sparke....

...except that I got the "Sea pictures" CD by Foden's band for christmas, which has Graduation Day on it!

5. JR

JR Member

plenty of older stuff too

Agreed!

Some older good quality stuff I dont believe recorded (and would also make good revival test material):

Introduction and Allegro,
    Hinemoa (Gareth Wood)

Gallions Reach, Automation (Peter Yorke)

Volcano (Robert Simpson) - has this been recorded since the Dyke live version from 1979?

Patterns in Brass (Frank Hughes)

Spirals (Frank Cordell)

Countdown, Chromoscope (Paul Patterson)

John R

6. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Desford did a whole CD of Simpson in the early 90s, Volcano was on that.

I'd pay good money for a commercial recording of Chromascope, it's fab, and I only have it on an old NYBBW course tape.

I've probably gone on about this before, but Alun Hoddinott's Symphony No. 8 for Brass and Percussion is woefully neglected. It's brilliant, albeit a swine to play. It's about time it showed up at the RNCM Festival, at least!

7. JR

JR Member

I used to have a 1980s recording from BBC Radio 3 Bandstand with Yorks Imps, Ray Farr conducting. Ian Bousfield was the soloist on Elgar Howarth's Trombone concerto and sat in with Chromoscope because one of the tenors was late for the session - needless to say, you could hear him...

JR

8. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

9. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Ditto...
    a few months ago I would have said Tallis Variations because there's only a couple of live contest recordings of it out there, but now its on Sea Pictures too :)

I'd really like to see more Simon Dobson music recorded.

10. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Besses recorded it in 1978ish on English Brass Vol.2

11. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

I'm still after a recording of Birtwistle's 'Salford Toccata'. Speaking of Nigel Clarke, is there a recording of his Pendle Witches available? D

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Dance Before The Lord
    Atlantic Toccata
    Nigel Clarke
    Philip Wilby
    Commissioned Music thread
  13. Mr_Euniverse

Mr_Euniverse Member

Now thats a piece that takes me back a number of years. AWESOME choice for 1st section that would be. I'd come to watch that defo

I totally agree with Anno, Hoddinotts music in general needs regular airing, I played that Symphony (and Chromascope) with NYBBW. Hoddinotts definately needs a RNCM appearence.

14. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

15. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

Is there a recording of The Land of the Long White Cloud? It's one of my favourite pieces and I would love someone to make a recording of it

16. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

There is - I have at least one lurking in my record collection somewhere, but for the life of me I can't remember who is playing it - Fairies? Foden's?

I also have somewhere a live recording on cassette (anyone remember those?), of the National Band of New Zealand playing it, but I guess thats not easily available over here - it was given to me by on of their ex-members.

17. Accidental

Faireys - on Double Champions (which also has very good versions of Masquerade, Devil & the Deep Blue Sea and Variations on a Welsh Theme too)

18. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Fairey, on the Double Champions album. There's a few wind band recordings of it too.
    (beaten to it, lol!)

19. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

I wondered how long it would take - 22 minutes. Not bad. I figured it would be quicker to leave it open than for me to root through all my CD's. I was right!

I was wrong about who would get there first though - my money was on Tom. I wonder what odds Paddy flower would've given for 'the oracle' to be beaten....!

20. Accidental

Sorry guys! :biggrin:
    I suspect my iTunes library could out-geek even Tom!

21. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Just me not paying attention, Ian! ;) I'm surprised that Land Of The Long White Cloud hasn't been recorded more often as it's still a popular contest choice.

22. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

I don't know...only in brass bands. Someone asks what pieces should be recorded and all people can come up with is suggestions to re-record pieces from 30 years ago. There are some great young composers out there like Peter Meechan, Lucy Pankhurst, Simon Dobson etc. New CD releases should primarily be showcasing new music not recyling old material.
    As a movement we are so conservative. We only buy pieces we alredy know and like and we only record pieces that we know the public already know and like. Hardly rock and roll is it.