Pieces for solo flute and wind band?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Flutey, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Flutey

Flutey Active Member

Hi everyone
    This isn't really brass band related but you all seem to have special knowledge anyway! I have been playing with the local music service's wind band for a number of years now and as I will be leaving next year, my conductor has suggested that I play a solo piece with the band. However, I have absolutely no idea what to play! I am about grade 8 standard but would have a year to work on the piece, so if anyone has any suitable suggestions could you let me know please?
    Thanks x

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Hi everyoneThis
    wind band
    brass band related
    solo piece
    solo flute
  3. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Rachel Smith has recorded the Chaminade "Concertino" with the Coldstream Guards (not sure who the arranger is or whether the arrangement is widely available. There is also Martin Ellerby's "Neapolitan Serenade", or a "Fantasie brillante on themes from Bizet's Carmen" (Francois Borne/Galway).

If you fancy something a little lighter, we've recently used James Curnow's "This little light" with SASWE: using the song "This little light of mine" it is a set of variations drawing on a number of national styles, including France, Russia, Spain and the USA - great fun for both ensemble and audience.

4. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

I'm pretty sure Philip Sparke wrote one, called Lindesfarne Rhapsody or something like that (I think!) dunno how hard it would be, but anything by Sparke has to be good.

5. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

6. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

Yes!

The bin.

7. tinytimp

tinytimp Member

You could also try Stephen Bulla's 'Rhapsody for Flute' which was originally written with band accompaniment, and is available with piano accomp as well. You shouldn't have any problems with this, won't take anywhere near a year to learn!

8. katieeuph

katieeuph Member

The Chaminade is good. I think there's a WInd Band version of Doppler's 'Fantasie Pastorale Hongroise' (Hungarian Pastoral Fantasy!) which is a really good piece. It's pretty hard (I think I played it in uni), but if you've got a year to work on it, it should be fine.
    Kate

9. There is also a very nice Concerto for Flute and Wind Band by Ken Hesketh, which is published by Faber Music.

10. skweeky

skweeky Member

there are hundreds out there.. If you fancy a challenge... Carnival of venice is very impressive. I think there is an arrangement of the queen of the night aria out there aswel. If you let us know what type of solo your strenghts lean to, we could help you more accurately?...

11. Flutey

Flutey Active Member

Yeah, sorry skweeky, I meant to say! I tend to play more classical/ baroque pieces on flute, but as a band we do all sorts- mainly more modern stuff though. I'm open to try anything really, and I think a change would be good for me anyway!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Hi everyoneThis
    wind band
    brass band related
    solo piece
    solo flute
  13. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

"In Ireland" by Hamilton Harty arranged by D Johnson and performed by Andy Manley on CD Royal Marines Band Mountbattens 2005. Hope that helps - its lovely.