pieces for band and singer

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by euphoria, Feb 11, 2011.

1. euphoria

euphoria Member

We have a concert in april where a female singer will be performing a few pieces.
    She has never sung with a brass band before, so she dosn't have a ready-to-play repertoire with her.
    She did have some suggestions, which was
    Smile (by Chaplin), Fly me to the moon (Sinatra version), Angel by Sarah Maclachlan and A Nightingale sang in Berkely Square.
    She was interested in other Sinatra or Vera Lynn tunes also.

Is there anyone who knows of suitable arrangements of any of the mentioned numbers or have other suggestions? It would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Erik
  2. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Ray Farr's arrangement of Over The Rainbow has a vocal part as an alternative to the flugel solo. I've never heard it sung, but its a fantastic arrangement - in my opinion the best of the three versions Over The Rainbow in the repertoire by a long way - so I'm pretty sure it would work well. Obviously if you're not performing with a singer you can still use it as a straight flugel solo so its not going to be a one hit wonder for you either.
  3. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

There is a band version of Rolf Lovland's Nocturne which has a part for solo female voice. And there is also Elgar Howarth's Five Folk Songs for female voice and band which are light and easy to listen to.

Apart from that, I take it from your examples you want light music; otherwise I can suggest some heavier fare!
  4. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

Ray has also arranged On My Own from Les Miserables, it's on Reg Vardy's Cool CD and it's well worth a listen
  5. blue juice

blue juice Member

Alan Fernie's arrangement of A Nightingale Sang in Berkeley Square works really well with a singer. I can also recommend Fernie's arrangement of Someone to watch over me (Alan Fernie), Summertime, World in Union and Gaelic Blessing.
  6. Mr_Euniverse

Mr_Euniverse Member

We did Russalkas Song to the Moon with a female singer. It was awesome.

I'm getting the impression that may not be her cuppa tea though?
  7. katieeuph

katieeuph Member

Russalka was the one that sprung to my mind too. I know Lympstone Band have done concerts with a female vocalist, but I think it was mainly 'Last Night Of the Promsy' sort of stuff. Will find out, though.
  8. euphoria

euphoria Member

Thanks for all the replies,
    She doesn't sing classcal music - we suggested O mio Babbino Caro which we have in an arrangement for singer and band.
    I will definately have a look at the Fernie arrangement of A nigthingale..., and the other suggestions seems very fine.

Not any experiences with other Vera Lynn tunes?

9. euphalogy

euphalogy Member

My niece is studying at RNCM and she sang with my band recently, Roussalka, Time to say Goodbye, both are on Utube if you want a listen. Alice Needham is the name, and you should find them .
  10. Jimmy_2121

Jimmy_2121 Member

We do quite a lot of concerts with female singers, we've found that it is quite possible to work with existing solos and arrangements,
    he is a link to one we played at pershore last year.
  11. we used to do 'love changes everything' or 'you'll never walk alone'. both went down very well.
  12. dhanimiller

dhanimiller Member

Don't Rain on my Parade is a good one, not sure who the arranger is...
  13. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Andrew Duncan's arrangement of "Scarlet ribbons" is another one that may fit the bill.
  14. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Sensible idea ... :clap:
  15. Gorgie boy

Gorgie boy Member

Andy's arrangement of "The Water is Wide" is nice too. The arrangement was originally made for vocalist and small band.
  16. Grunt

Grunt New Member

what about "solitaire"?
  17. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

By Neil Diamond?
  18. Grunt

Grunt New Member

That's the one. It's arranged as a cornet solo, though I have played it myself and it worked well on trombone.