Pieces for bagpipes and band?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by MartinT, Jul 16, 2007.

1. MartinT

MartinT Member

We have (so far, anyway!) a good relationship with a local pipe band who have joined us in "Highland Cathedral" at a couple of our concerts. What we're looking to do now is something on the lines of a "proper" joint concert, necessarily involving some more pieces scored for pipes and band.
    Can anyone recommend suitable pieces (and I'm sure we all have our own definition of "suitable" :rolleyes:) scored for pipes and brass band? Or failing that, for pipes and military band? (I'm assuming we can do a bit of re-scoring if required.)
    Something that springs to my mind that I once heard on LTTB in the Roy Newsome days was a military band piece entiled "72nd's Farewell to Gibraltar" or some such. Any other ideas?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    band
    pipe band
    relationship
    band.
    something
  3. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Mainly arrangements of sacred and military music for pipes and band. Don't know if you could maybe look at doing something like Hymn of the Highlands with a pipes part or perhaps some of Cry of the Celts although that's more likely to require Irish pipes.

4. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

I thought there was a written bagpipes part to Hymn of the Highlands anyway? Seems like an obvious choice.

5. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Sellers, on their cd Celtic Connections, recorded an item arranged by Andrew Duncan featuring pipes:
    "Alone with my Thoughts, Erik Spence arr . A. Duncan,
    Vocal Soloist: Stephanie Helliwell
    Highland Bagpipes: Dougie Pincock"

6. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Martin,

There's an arrangement of Amazing Grace by G. Churcher with a part for bagpipes. Contact me if you want me to get hold of a set for you.

BTW, hope you and Sue are well!!

7. ophicliede

ophicliede Member

Martin,

There are arrangements for bagpipes and wind band like: Chariots of Fire, Sailing, Il Silenzio, Going Home (Largo fom the New World), Pastorale Symphony (Beethoven), Highland Cathedral, Oft in the Stilly Night, plus a whole load of marches, Black Bear, Scotland the Brave etc., To name but a few. My band in the army had a pipe band as well so we played a lot of arrangements for this combination.

8. Souter

Souter Member

We do Bells Of Dunblane with our pipe band. Also the usuals of Highland Cathedral, Ode To Joy, Scotland The Brave etc. Also got a few medley march arrangements.

9. flashbarry

flashbarry Member

Martin,

Feel free to email with your requirements as I write for military band and pipes all the time and may have some stuff you might be interested in.

My email address is dazbo@omantel.net.om

Cheers

10. MartinT

MartinT Member

Thanks to all for the helpful replies. We'll be discussing this over the next few days, and may well contact those who have offered.